Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some advice on Re-doing a Lawn

Options
  • 07-07-2012 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Well Folks, I am planning on redoing my Lawn both front Lawn, side lawn and back Lawn. Ive been meaning to do it for a while. Long story short bought a new house about 3 years ago but the Lawn was crap, must have been the worst topsoil ever and was uneven...hardly any grass in it, or whatever grass was in it was Field Grass, and the usual Dock Leaves and bare patches. front garden wasnt too bad, but the side garden is the worst just very little growth and seems to be very poor soil or else lack of sunshine.
    I attempted to sort it out a cheap way dug out any stones from the lawns, sprayed it with weed killer to get rid of the docks after I got sick of digging them up and even it out as much as possible and reseeding sections. In fairness I did improve it from what it was..it actually looked like a lawn after its been cut, but still the side lawn has issues with growth..
    anyway Its still un even in areas and last week I cut it very short and then I realised how uneven it actually is...so I am thinking of digging it up and redoing it again completely in a cheap as fashion as possible. alot of hard labour and as little money as possible. So what I am thinking of doing is to dig it all up in November turn the sod, leave it for a few weeks then chop and hack it.....then even it out. maybe get another layer of top soil and then roll and seed it....anyone got any tips for me before I take such a job on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭irish_bhoy82

I mowed my lawns again today at the same low grade and it seemed to cut alot easier, and it doesnt look to bad. I may plan to just try and keep it cut on a weekly basis and may possibly put some lawn feed and moss killer on it.

I forked the side lawn and the front lawn, I hope that puts a bit of life into it. I will fork the larger back lawn too at a later stage,that job will take some time cause its alot bigger.I hope by forking it, It will do something similar to aerating.

Well its 5 days since I aerated the front and side lawns and it might be my imagination but I think it Looks alot better. I am going to hopefully give all lawns a dose of lawn feed over the weekend, to do a little job on the weeds and green the lawn.

I have a plan for the autumn tho, I plan to aerate, scarify all lawns. And I may top dress the front and side lawns and then apply another autumn feed after this. I might top dress the back lawn too if I can source a good amount of top soil other wise I ill just use peat moss on the front a side lawns..

I think a top dressing will sort my problems, even out any holes in my lawn etc. Keep you posted on its progress

right update
    Gave my lawn a feed of Evergreen last week and have been cutting it now at least once a week. Its definately alot greener but this rain i savage I took a walk earlier and the lawn is so wet and full of slugs.

I trimmed the edges of the sod on my small front lawn, as I dont have a strimmer as such to cut the edges and the grass was becoming unsightly.

Going to keep it well cut now till september then its the top dress for the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

I have 3/4 acre and it's hard to keep on top of it,

Lawn is now. 3 years old, this year was my first year giving it some fertiliser and also sprayed it for weeds, it definitely does green it up,

My big problems are creeping butter cup and weed grass,

I have cut the grass every week since march, this really does help, but I think I have accepted the way I see the lawn in my head and how it should look, will just never happen :)

Advertisement