Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop: Can I upgrade my graphic card

Options
  • 07-07-2012 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I bought a laptop about 7 months ago and used it mainly for school,browsing etc. Now I'm free for the summer and want to play some games :). Is there anyway of upgrading my current graphics card on my "Acer Aspire 5733" without it being too expensive? Thank you for your time :) (Any opinions/suggestions would be appreciated!)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

no you cant.

thats why anyone buying a laptop should keep away from Intel HD rubbish.

They are stuck with that crap and wont be able to do anything worthwhile during the laptop's lifetime.

and Laptops now are getting to the point where entry level GPUs are entirely affordable in the first instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Yea, you can hack that baby with an external GPU, looky here.:p:p

In all seriousness though, not really, proper external GPUs never really took off, though they're still trying.

And for what they cost, you'd get a playstation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Most laptops cannot be upgraded with a new graphics card and even if they could be you would have to know how to dismantle the laptop and gpu and use thermal paste and all that lark. The alienware m17x is the only worthwhile gaming laptop that you can upgrade the graphics card but any other basic laptop is a no-go. If you want gaming purchase a desktop computer which has at least two molex connectors from the psu to the graphics card and at least 700watt psu imo, the more the better. Laptops are hopeless anyway for gaming to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 harconnor

Thanks a lot guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

zenno wrote: »
    Most laptops cannot be upgraded with a new graphics card and even if they could be you would have to know how to dismantle the laptop and gpu and use thermal paste and all that lark. The alienware m17x is the only worthwhile gaming laptop that you can upgrade the graphics card but any other basic laptop is a no-go. If you want gaming purchase a desktop computer which has at least two molex connectors from the psu to the graphics card and at least 700watt psu imo, the more the better. Laptops are hopeless anyway for gaming to be honest.
    You're forgetting about clevo/sager.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/customsystems/type/laptops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 harconnor

Is my video dedicated RAM controlled by my graphics card? So does this mean I can't upgrade this? My problem is that I have all the necessary requirements for this game except the Video Dedicated RAM. I need 256 but I only have 128. Is this fixable?

no its not fixable, and its not just memory.. graphic instructions specific to many games wont be supported by Intel crap.

not sure if they have T&L.

sell it if you need games and buy a mid range laptop with a nvidia card, that or buy a desktop.

Well a laptops 1GB GeForce GTX660M would only be equivalent to a 9800gtx if even that and the 9800gtx is an old card, but ok, you would get good graphics and fps on the GTX660M but upgrading would be a problem. The heat dissipation of even an upgraded card for the laptop would be a serious problem. I just think gaming should be done on a desktop with good upgradability than using a lappy for gaming. Heat is always an issue with gaming laptops but I do have to hand it to alienware for their great cooling.

EDIT: yeah, some nice laptops there forsure RUCKING FETARD but we still have this problem of upgradability with the ole laptops.

harconnor wrote: »
    Is my video dedicated RAM controlled by my graphics card? So does this mean I can't upgrade this? My problem is that I have all the necessary requirements for this game except the Video Dedicated RAM. I need 256 but I only have 128. Is this fixable?

Not possible.

I'd go with Nanotube on this one and just sell it and buy a decent desktop if you really want to play games. I personally don't see the point in laptop gaming but that's just my personal opinion. but like i said before, many people go out and purchase a desktop computer for gaming and still don't get what they need for it to support a good graphics card and this is why I said this in my previous post here i.e...the important thing to consider if you want a gaming desktop if you don't want to build one yourself is make sure the power supply unit in the desktop has at least 2 molex connectors for your graphics card.

All high end desktop graphics cards have two molex connections and need two spare connectors from the power supply unit to support it. If you ended up rushing and bought a so-called desktop rig, more than likely it would have only one molex connector on it's psu and that's no good, you might be able to use an adapter connector to connect it from a hard drive cable but if you ever decide to buy a good gaming desktop absolutely make sure it has at least 700watt power supply unit and at least 2 molex connectors because i have seen it all before with people thinking they got an excellent gaming pc but to realize when they wanted to upgrade their graphics card they had no spare molex connector or anything to support the power of the new card. anyway good luck on your endeavor and gaming if you decide to go the desktop route.

My own old rig desktop is still playing the latest games at 1080p and does just fine...specs below, nothing amazing but does the job good via cpu overclock.

xps 630i
    750watt psu
    9800GTX+ factory overclocked to max settings
    win 7 32-bit 3.2GB ram
    cpu: core 2 duo old-original 2.4GHZ overclocked to 3.2GHZ with no extra cooling, forgot the make but this is one of the very first core 2's that came out and are fantastic for overclock
    atx mobo

zenno wrote: »
    Not possible.

I'd go with Nanotube on this one and just sell it and buy a decent desktop if you really want to play games. I personally don't see the point in laptop gaming but that's just my personal opinion. but like i said before, many people go out and purchase a desktop computer for gaming and still don't get what they need for it to support a good graphics card and this is why I said this in my previous post here i.e...the important thing to consider if you want a gaming desktop if you don't want to build one yourself is make sure the power supply unit in the desktop has at least 2 molex connectors for your graphics card.

All high end desktop graphics cards have two molex connections and need two spare connectors from the power supply unit to support it. If you ended up rushing and bought a so-called desktop rig, more than likely it would have only one molex connector on it's psu and that's no good, you might be able to use an adapter connector to connect it from a hard drive cable but if you ever decide to buy a good gaming desktop absolutely make sure it has at least 700watt power supply unit and at least 2 molex connectors because i have seen it all before with people thinking they got an excellent gaming pc but to realize when they wanted to upgrade their graphics card they had no spare molex connector or anything to support the power of the new card. anyway good luck on your endeavor and gaming if you decide to go the desktop route.

My own old rig desktop is still playing the latest games at 1080p and does just fine...specs below, nothing amazing but does the job good via cpu overclock.

xps 630i
    750watt psu
    9800GTX+ factory overclocked to max settings
    win 7 32-bit 3.2GB ram
    cpu: core 2 duo old-original 2.4GHZ overclocked to 3.2GHZ with no extra cooling, forgot the make but this is one of the very first core 2's that came out and are fantastic for overclock
    atx mobo

I see every point in gaming with my M17xR3.

• Advertisement
Advertisement