Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy/Mechanical Engineering @ GMIT

Options
  • 07-07-2012 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Guys, I've just been offered a place for Energy Engineering @ GMIT. Can anyone tell me more about the course? Mainly how difficult it is? I'll be going back as a mature student and haven't been in school in years. I know the maths are supposed to be very difficult as the course teaches the skill sets of mechanical engineering but i plan to start grinds now straight away. Has anyone done engineering at GMIT or something similar? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 The MiniVan

millinha wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I've just been offered a place for Energy Engineering @ GMIT. Can anyone tell me more about the course? Mainly how difficult it is? I'll be going back as a mature student and haven't been in school in years. I know the maths are supposed to be very difficult as the course teaches the skill sets of mechanical engineering but i plan to start grinds now straight away. Has anyone done engineering at GMIT or something similar? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi,
    I would strongly advise against taking them up on their offer of that course.Im currently doing a electrical related engineering degree in GMIT and know quite a few lads in the energy engineering,some in their 2nd year,some in their 3rd year and a few who have just finished their 4th year.

All of them have the same problem and will tell you as much......there is no jobs in that sector in this country.Plus nearly every IT in Ireland as well as the Unis have an energy engineering course so if there is any jobs the better qualified guys at the Unis will more than likely get them.

All of those guys I have mentioned above are former electricians,now mature students and everyone of them has told me that they regretted doin that degree coupled with the fact that they say it is an extremely difficult course.

On my own degree we have a renewable energy module so we would have the same lecturers as the energy students and they have told us the same thing.....there are NO jobs in that sector.

Dont get fooled by the colleges spin on those degree courses.Dont waste your time.

Hope that was of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 U2sir

All of them have the same problem and will tell you as much......there is no jobs in that sector in this country.Plus nearly every IT in Ireland as well as the Unis have an energy engineering course so if there is any jobs the better qualified guys at the Unis will more than likely get them.

Difficult to believe there are NO jobs. Would expect a student to be able to compete for jobs in Energy, Mechanical and Electrical.
    Difficult course means it is probably of high standard so should be well regarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mr.boombastic

Despite the mini van's comments im quite looking forward to starting the ordinary degree course in energy engineering this year. I am lucky to have been given advanced entry directly into second year as i have previous qualification in DIT & 5 yrs experience working for a mechancial contractor. Hopefully there will be more of an emphasis on green energy as predicted by SEAI which will create employment in all areas of energy/M&E,fingers crossed anyways :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 millinha

Jeez i almost forgot writing that original thread! Well just incase there is anyone reading this thread and was wondering about the course, i ended up accepting the course and it's going really well!

If anyone was complaining about it being too difficult then they're just not putting in the work! I'm in my second year now and once you do your work and go in everyday then it's no problem at all!

Lecturers are 100%. Course is difficult but as i said, if you're willing to put in the hard work it wont be a problem!!

Oh and on the jobs part from above.... With Energy Engineering you have all the skillsets of Mechanical Engineering too so the jobs aren't just energy. In fact 90% of the jobs being applied for won't have the title ''Energy Engineer''

If your thinking about it, just go and do it. Everyone going back are in the same boat and everyone helps everyone else @_

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MIHead

There are jobs for Energy Engineering graduates from GMIT! In fact, a graduate survey conducted in 2016 has shown that all respondents (92% of the graduates to date) are either in employment (94%) or in further education (6%). 90% being employed in Engineering or Technical roles spanning 31 different job titles such as Energy Managers, Project Managers, Facility Managers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement