Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to inform my principal I'm pregnant

Options
  • 07-07-2012 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I'm 5 weeks pregnant and I'm wondering when should I inform my principal. I'm due early March. I teach 2nd Class (Communion class) which means I will be on maternity leave in May when the Communion will take place. We haven't decided on classes yet for September as one teacher will not be returning due to getting a new job. How soon should I tell my principal? I'm worried that she might say I should have told her before we chose classes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

Well she definitely shouldn't expect you to be telling her that you are pregnant at 5 weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You don't have to tell her anything until you're putting in your application for maternity leave. Even then, you don't have to tell her out straight!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

I think i would mention it to her in this situation to be honest. I hear Communion and confirmation year is a lot of hard work for teachers and i would prob mention it to her just before classes were picked, it would prob be easier to assign you to another year. I would def be saying that i am telling you (the principle) in confidence, out of courtesy and you will not be telling the rest of the staff until you are ready. Let us know what you decide to do. Also Congrats. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I'd say nothing tbh. In our school, communion isn't that big of a deal and I know it wouldn't be a second thought for me if I was pregnant/ on maternity leave. Communion prep won't be starting til around late March anyways, aside from learning the prayers throughout the year. The sustitute teacher will be grand with it - the scrap books of worksheets, art displays and stuff. You could just have a a folder of plans, prayers, dates, and copymasters set aside if you wanted. Congrats & good luck with everything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

This might be worthwhile posting on the Primary & Pre-School forum too for a teacher's perspective.

Legally you are not obliged to tell anyone until you're booking off maternity leave. You're not expected to tell anyone (friends etc) until 12-ish weeks anyway.

It then comes down to how well you and the other staff get on with the Principal and each other. It would be a courtesy to tell her before it becomes obvious and if it makes it easier for scheduling then tell her now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 sept12

Just saw your post..i am due at end of March 2013..i am almost 16 weeks pregnant and am not telling my principal until after the Halloween, which leaves me at 20 weeks. I just haven't told anyone, apart from my fiance, obviously and one other person as it wasn't planned and am not married..yet. am worried re being a primary school teacher and being "up the Duff"..i know it's stupid but the priest is into the school almost every day...plus parents etc.. anyway i would like to know when original postee informed as we are practically due same time...plus when do you comfortably legally have to tell...38 weeks anyone????..joking of course!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

sept12 wrote: »
    plus when do you comfortably legally have to tell...38 weeks anyone????..joking of course!!!
    Hah, you might be joking, but you're not a million miles off.

You're only obliged to tell your employer 4 weeks before you intend to take maternity leave. Which could be @ 34 weeks at the latest.

Some baby books recommend not telling an employer until you really have to (i.e. until you're showing) to avoid being treated unfairly, but it really depends on the workplace. If you think your principal is a horrible individual who'd give you grief over it, then hold off as long as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sept12

thanks a mill seamus..she isn't horrible..just very very nosy and for me not being married in small 4 teacher school i just want to keep things private as long as possible..just want to get paperwork sorted with department of education as i know changes were made to maternity pay...thanks though..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

It depends on the health and safety policies.
    Yes you don't have to legally tell until you apply for maternity leave but disclosure is often
    needed before that due to health and safety issues and check ups needed with the hospital.

I do think that 5 weeks is to early, 3/4months makes more sense.

Advertisement