Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPS2 quiet fan replacement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Yeah looks good.
    I did the same to my Alpha 2 board.
    First Cps2 board and I thought fan was dodgey it was making such a racket
    I just got one from PC,cut wires and crimped onto existing connection
    No need for soldering...
    Good news if your a five thumb wonder at soldering like me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Buy a Papst 612FL and skip the soldering step. :)

You need a Torx Ts20 security bit to undo the case. I've been doing some, err......., 'research'.........

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

An easy fix - just like the Naomi PSU fan replacement

I just modded mine tonight! I've installed a Papst fan I ordered from Germany, arrived today. I'm an utter clumsy OAF with a soldering iron, I made a balls of the solder job, but it powers on and works just fine.

I'm delighted with myself! :D

zIPW7.jpg

I also modded the battery on my Mars Matrix board the day I got home, and it still works! :eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I also modded the battery on my Mars Matrix board the day I got home, and it still works! :eek: :D

As in replaced it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,556 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I hope he soldered a new one in rather than mod it with one of those battery holders - have heard several stories of batteries popping out of the holder and killing the board.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I hope he soldered a new one in rather than mod it with one of those battery holders - have heard several stories of batteries popping out of the holder and killing the board.

Yeah for an arcade pcb I think I'd also go the hard-soldered battery rather than a socketed one. Pcb's can get bumped about a bit sometimes, & with the likes of CPS2 etc, the decryption algo is lost if the battery pops out as we all know.

Though from personal experience, I've seen cps2 boards last well over 12 hours without a battery.

Master of the Universe

12 hours?! wow! I thought it was all lost in about 30 minutes and you had to be fast.

o1s1n wrote: »
    12 hours?! wow! I thought it was all lost in about 30 minutes and you had to be fast.

Yep got two sets of my eeproms back from Razoola one time, removed the battery & reinstalled the roms....nadda. Thought he was after borking them, & emailed him. He told me the caps can hold enough juice to power the decryption routine for quite some time & that if the decryption algorithm tries to decrypt a non-encrypted piece of code...the game boots to a solid colour screen which was happening me.

So before sending him another set of roms I did it the other way around, took out the battery & checked how long it would take before original roms wouldn't boot. It took overnight, because 12pm to 12am didn't do it - they would still boot!

EnterNow wrote: »
    As in replaced it?

Yep, straight swap out. Ordered the battery from Cellpack and bought a stack of Torx security bits from Amazon.

It was scary as I was worried the battery wasn't settled in properly but days on now and it's still working. Delighted with the fan mod, it's much MUCH quieter. No airport sounds emanating from my cab any more. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

How hard is it to replace the battery? Ive SF 3 Alpha and dont want it to die on me. On a scale of "Ive tried replacing the caps on 3 gamegears and not one worked" to "I removed the region pin on a nes loads of times" how difficult is it to do?

Master of the Universe

I've never done it myself, but in theory, it seems very easy. You just have to desolder the old battery from two points and solder a new one.

I was freaked out about CPS2 boards dying until I read up on how easy it is to get them phoenixed. If it dies, just pop off the Eeproms and send them off to Razoola or someone else who reprograms them (didnt someone here have an eeprom writer?)

Unless you're one of those weirdos who sees phoenixed boards as being hacks! Madness I tells ya.

I'm a useless, clumsy, stupid oaf that hasn't soldered anything in over a decade and did both mods, straight away, first time and they worked first time.

Anyone can do these two tasks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

I going to change the fan on my Progear soon because the fan is pretty loud .
    I replaced the batteries on my PGM CAVE boards , the Varta's tend to leak after time and could ruin the pcb with acid .
    Heres my DDP Doj that already had a beard when it arrived :

DSCF3506.jpg

It's better now :

DSCF3435.jpg

Master of the Universe

Anyone ever consider connecting the battery up via some long wire and placing it under the board so it's not at risk of damaging it?

Or is that just too damn ugly?

You'd never get the battery to fit under the board, lack of space unfortunately. Besides it really is incredibly easy to just replace the battery. Remember, this is coming from a soldering dipsh*t. :)

Master of the Universe

You can use the ones already on the board, just wipe em ;)

Advertisement