Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Messed up my Results!!!

Options
  • 06-07-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I got my results last week in Commerce. I got a 58.9% average which is a 2.2. However the result says that I got a "Second Class Honours - Grade 1" which is a 2.1.

Has this happened to any one else?

I need a 2.1 for my job but don't know what to do?

At the moment I have applied for my transcripts and am waiting to see if they also display 2.1!!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

All undergraduate programmes of the Faculty operate allocation of grades based on a “preponderance rule” whereby grades can be attained at 24 marks less than the overall minimum percentage mark per band provided that not less than half of the credits are achieved at the minimum percentage mark for the grade band.

For example, the BComm 1 st Year Standard for 2 nd Class Honours (Grade 1) states the following “ Second Class, Grade I: an aggregate of at least 720/1200 marks (i.e. 60% and above but less than 70%) or an aggregate of at least 696 with at least half of the credits attained with marks of 60 or above”. Thus, a student may achieve a 2H1 by attaining 720 marks. However, a student who attains 696 marks but has also achieved a mark of 60% or above in 30 Credits of Modules will also attain a 2H1. Students who have attained 696 marks but have not achieved marks of 60% or above in 30 Credits of Modules will be awarded a 2H2.

^^

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Thanks Tazzle - seems to explain it!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

It's the same for if you're doing a 50 credit major in Arts. You can get a 2.1 at 57% provided you have 6 modules over 60%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I never heard of that system before but it's good in that it stops people being piunished for a drop in performance in one or two modules when otherwise they have done well. The only thing is if they move the grade up to 2.1 why not move the mark to 60% as well and have done with it! Surely it's either a 2.1 or it's not - and a 2.1 is 60%+?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I never heard of that system before but it's good in that it stops people being piunished for a drop in performance in one or two modules when otherwise they have done well. The only thing is if they move the grade up to 2.1 why not move the mark to 60% as well and have done with it! Surely it's either a 2.1 or it's not - and a 2.1 is 60%+?

they cannot simply "move" marks - a lot of results go through external examiners, and all results must be passed by the academic council - a system like that would cause uproar, some students being moved to 60 without actually deserving it. What would makes things easier would be if there was a note of explanation attached to your results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 RoncoRider

Thats brilliant Tazzle, really appreciate the info because I was starting to fret and couldnt find any information out there !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

they cannot simply "move" marks - a lot of results go through external examiners, and all results must be passed by the academic council - a system like that would cause uproar, some students being moved to 60 without actually deserving it. What would makes things easier would be if there was a note of explanation attached to your results

This actually does happen: in the science faculty, students on the borderline are sometimes pushed up. I know people who had concrete evidence of this!

This actually does happen: in the science faculty, students on the borderline are sometimes pushed up. I know people who had concrete evidence of this!

Different to bringing a 55 up to a 60 - people that are borderline, say 59.4, very easy to find a few marks here and there getting them to 59.7 to 59.8 to be rounded up

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

Different to bringing a 55 up to a 60 - people that are borderline, say 59.4, very easy to find a few marks here and there getting them to 59.7 to 59.8 to be rounded up

What's the rule. Does it have to be rounded up if its 59.5?

Advertisement