Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloud?

Options
  • 06-07-2012 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I have been asked to look into moving my company into the cloud! Now, I'm apprehensive about! I like to be able to go in and kick something when there is a problem! That aside.. Can anyone point me in a starting direction what companies in Ireland are the best options to consider? Maybe ones you have experience dealing with?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just mention Ulster Bank and it will all go away ;)

What are your servers doing at present ?

as things scale up it's moving goalposts

Review your current disaster recovery plan.
    What is mission critical / costs if it's off line for x amount of time ?

What are the possible savings ?

factor in the size of the project
    if it's three people in a office using email then something like google isn't a bad option and you know it'll work
    if it's moving something like the HSE to the cloud then the failure rate of projects is about 80% , and that's after cost over runs of around 100%

Do you have any legacy stuff ?

are there privacy issue - lots of EU data can NOT be stored in places like India ?

NB compare SLA's.
    most quote a response time, not a fix time
    also that response may be a query for more information or clarification so instead of having a fix you are only engaged in 'talks about talks'

This

160498.strip.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Thanks for the response Capt'n. Some nice pointers in there!

I'll be mentioning Ulster Bank so! ;)

We have about 15-20 users, with clients accessing the network for processing facilities. Our core systems are a document management system and an accounts package. With all the usual stuff also. I have a server that's about 4 years old on it's last legs. I looked into a new server and was going to go down the VMWare route myself and build our own sort of cloud but I keep hearing that SAS is more cost effective at the minute.

Our disaster recovery plan is solid as we have ISO 27001, Information Security Management System so it's been trialed and tested annually since we were certified.

I'm aware of the EU data laws, makes it a pain alright!

That SLA stuff is the VERY reason I don't want to go into the cloud! Our company goal within the next 3 years is to have 100% redundant network. An hours down time here costs a fortune in chargeable hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

Thanks for the response Capt'n. Some nice pointers in there!

I'll be mentioning Ulster Bank so! ;)

We have about 15-20 users, with clients accessing the network for processing facilities. Our core systems are a document management system and an accounts package. With all the usual stuff also. I have a server that's about 4 years old on it's last legs. I looked into a new server and was going to go down the VMWare route myself and build our own sort of cloud but I keep hearing that SAS is more cost effective at the minute.

Our disaster recovery plan is solid as we have ISO 27001, Information Security Management System so it's been trialed and tested annually since we were certified.

I'm aware of the EU data laws, makes it a pain alright!

That SLA stuff is the VERY reason I don't want to go into the cloud! Our company goal within the next 3 years is to have 100% redundant network. An hours down time here costs a fortune in chargeable hours!

If you go down the internal "cloud" route now, i.e. install something like VMware ESXi (and maybe vCenter later if the cost can be justified) you will find it much easier to evaluate external cloud providers, and move VMs between the two if the external cloud option seems attractive.

For 15-20 users though, I'd be very slow to move away from local servers - IMO the extra hassle of managing contracts/SLAs/licensing/Data protection laws just isn't worth it.

Thanks Swampgas. I really don't want to move into the cloud. I agree with all you have to say above. It's trying to convince the powers that be that it's not a good idea when all anyone hears about these days is: "how cheap the cloud is" and "it's better for business" it's all just buzz words and phrases..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

swampgas wrote: »
    If you go down the internal "cloud" route now, i.e. install something like VMware ESXi (and maybe vCenter later if the cost can be justified) you will find it much easier to evaluate external cloud providers, and move VMs between the two if the external cloud option seems attractive.

For 15-20 users though, I'd be very slow to move away from local servers - IMO the extra hassle of managing contracts/SLAs/licensing/Data protection laws just isn't worth it.

You know, normally I would agree but these days I would almost push for a move to a public\private type affair where you pay for the service. For 15-20 users you could save yourself a lot of pain having a fully redundant system which someone else is responsible for..

Getting access to VMware Cloud director you have all the benefits of building \ controlling your own VM's without having to worry about the Hardware or Capacity. Couple the VM's with Online backups and only use a small "Cloud Providor" not MS \ Amazon etc you get around the Data Protection laws because the data never leaves Ireland. You can also license Citrix clients if you have fairly standard users. All you need really is a decent pipe to the Internet\Datacenter which you can get pretty cheap these days. Then get two different providers to make sure you have failover and there you go..

I wouldn't say the cloud is cheap, you pay for what you get, but you need to plan for the day you get hit with a fire\flood or Gas leak and your little server room goes boom! How much will it cost to get you back up and running then? With a cloud provider all you need is to rent an office space \ decent connection and use Citrix clients for a while.

I think the days or having our own server room will soon be gone especially for the SMB sector. Why bother if you don't have too...I think its worth looking into anyway.

(BTW I'm not any sort of reseller)

• Advertisement

Well, yesterday I rang one place and asked to have a meeting set up for a chat.. First time in history neither of the sales people didn't call.

So are there companies you'd recommend? The one I called yesterday; Novosco don't seem too enthusiastic! And they were recommended by the CPA.

I've no doubt the days on the smaller comms rooms are numbered, I just wanna hold on to mine for a little longer I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Actually, Novosco are the company I would have recommended... we deal with them a lot. Strange I would have thought it would something they would be interested in.

If they don't get back to you and you wish to make contract drop me a pm and I'll email them for you. We find them quite good.

Thanks for that Static. I'll give them until tomorrow lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

You know, normally I would agree but these days I would almost push for a move to a public\private type affair where you pay for the service. For 15-20 users you could save yourself a lot of pain having a fully redundant system which someone else is responsible for..

Getting access to VMware Cloud director you have all the benefits of building \ controlling your own VM's without having to worry about the Hardware or Capacity. Couple the VM's with Online backups and only use a small "Cloud Providor" not MS \ Amazon etc you get around the Data Protection laws because the data never leaves Ireland. You can also license Citrix clients if you have fairly standard users. All you need really is a decent pipe to the Internet\Datacenter which you can get pretty cheap these days. Then get two different providers to make sure you have failover and there you go..

I wouldn't say the cloud is cheap, you pay for what you get, but you need to plan for the day you get hit with a fire\flood or Gas leak and your little server room goes boom! How much will it cost to get you back up and running then? With a cloud provider all you need is to rent an office space \ decent connection and use Citrix clients for a while.

I think the days or having our own server room will soon be gone especially for the SMB sector. Why bother if you don't have too...I think its worth looking into anyway.

(BTW I'm not any sort of reseller)

I agree for the most part - and it is a rapidly changing environment. A lot depends on the skill set of the IT guys and the sunk cost of existing hardware. A startup is in a different position to an established company with an existing Active Directory server, print server, etc. A lot depends on the type of activity the company does - if it's all email and documents, that can be farmed out easily enough, but if there is manufacturing / CAD / printing involved, there are complications.

As you said yourself, if you go the cloud route you are very dependent on a reliable network connection. Multiple providers can help but is an additional cost, and doesn't help when a JCB operator accidentally cuts all your connections at once :-)

It doesn't hurt to get a few quotes and see what's on offer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

My 1M word: stay local,stay inside, stay...in control !

Related to pre-sales /sales rubbish,the sales man will sell you the shuttle to travel to moon ! Then,when issues comes,they will ... point and blame the techies !
    Been involved in a project where Sales promised best solution and then all the dirty work broke in the heads of the techie guys that said i need to show that is working,despite "knowing" is not doing what we've promised !

We are not ready for that type of cloud,even if all are pushing towards...they need your data,they needs you committed and be dependent on their services !

Forget IT...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Actually, Novosco are the company I would have recommended... we deal with them a lot. Strange I would have thought it would something they would be interested in.

If they don't get back to you and you wish to make contract drop me a pm and I'll email them for you. We find them quite good.

So...a good company needs a PM from a boardie member !??
    A joke... :)
    I thought is recession,companies running mad for new customers and new business !

My regards to those guys,keep up the good work so...i can look after their customers ,possible better !!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sabahm

Hello IamMetaldave,

I guess i have reached a bit late in this topic. But let me answer your question, may be it will be helpful if you again open / view this question.

IamMetaldave, moving to cloud is a good option. You might be aware of the fact that technology has been extensively growing and companies need to meet the standards accordingly. Moving to cloud is a sound option as it saves a lot of your money, time, and efforts. Plus, military grade-encryption, support, management, etc are among the vital objects of the cloud technology. If we discuss about the benefits and risk in moving your business to cloud, then the discussion would be a description one. Let's not get into the details of this!

IamMetaldave, you may consider <SNIP> or <SNIP> as both of them have data center closed by Ireland! You can also look around for a reliable managed hosting service which i think will better guide you in selecting the best appropriate vendor with respect to your need.

Additionally, can you please elaborate a bit in detail about your requirements? Like; how much RAM, storage, size do you need (your company)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

FYP

sabahm wrote: »
    Hello IamMetaldave,

I guess i have reached a bit late in this topic. But let me answer your question, may be it will be helpful if you again open / view this question.

<MARKETING BULL****E>

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sabahm

FYP

What is FYP, btw?

Advertisement