Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fury V Maddalone (July 7th Channel 5)

Options
  • 06-07-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭

He's never in a dull fught is Fury, good value for money! Some pictures from the weigh in.

205241_10151884094075104_967165099_n.jpg

409644_10151884091125104_1496845432_n.jpg

Fury's opponent,

531725_10151884134525104_1269200264_n.jpg

Eubank Jr

293742_10151884096270104_534700882_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

looks like a walkover for Fury

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

barney4001 wrote: »
    looks like a walkover for Fury

Fury looks in decent shape in those photos. Joke of a fight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Fury looks in decent shape in those photos. Joke of a fight though.

Fury has lost some bodyfat alright, he's in much better shape than he started his career but there's still plenty of work to do. I wouldn't call it a joke of a fight, imo this Maddalone is a decent step up from the version of Rogan than Fury faced.

Yes people are frustrated because Fury beat Chisora, and Chisora subsequently went on to fight for the European title vs highly ranked Robert Helenius (and suffer at the hands of a bad decision from the judges), then fight Vitali Klitschko for a World title and is now fighting arguably the 3rd best Heavyweight in the world in David Haye.

Meanwhile Fury has fought Nicolai Firtha, Nevan Pajkic, and a shot Martin Rogan. But there are things to consider, at that stage of their careers Chisora was probably a better fighter than Fury, but for some reason came into the fight in horrendous shape and clearly loss. Is it fair to then expect Fury to take a step up from where an in shape Chisora is and go looking for World title fights, definitely not. But to be fair that's not what anyone's saying.

So he fights Firtha and Pajkic and while there is so criticism going to fight these guys after beating Chisora it's not huge (afterall Chisora hadn't even fought Helenius by then). Fury performed well against Firtha, but he got himself badly stunned at one point and ate too many right hands. But they persevere and take a step up against the decent Pajkic, and again he performs very well in parts but eats too many right hands and gets dropped heavily. Now from this point I think it becomes clear if they're to take another step up again in the manner they did from Firtha-Pajkic that Fury could very well get blasted out of there and I don't think that would look very good as the headline event on national television.

So they do what they did after the controversial 1st McDermott fight (ignoring the meaning Mrazek fight Tyson did 2 weeks after), they get him out of the ring for a while and give him time to work on his flaws and then also match him a bit lower when they put him back in there. 9 months from the 1st McDermott fight he fought McDermott again and there was no dispute as to whether Tyson had won the fight or not and it was clear he had improved. This time they had him out of the ring for 5 months and when they brought him back in they fed him a old Rogan, a nice step back in class. Thankfully for Tyson he got to pick up the Irish title aswell which is something he has wanted to do for a while.

Maddalone is a step up from an old Rogan. He's probably the biggest puncher Tyson has faced, so there is some element of danger in this fight, and he also gave Mormeck a close fight a few years ago, although seeing how bad Mormeck was vs Wlad I'm not sure how much that means. Anyway next fight I'd expect to see Fury stepping back up to the level of Pajkic at least and I think we'll see a good improvement from the last time he dealt with a fighter of that level.
    If we don't see an opponent on Pajkic's level after Maddalone I'd be very disappointed and question where Hennessey is going with Fury. But I feel the temporary step down in opposition was needed in order to avoid a loss while allowing Fury to learn. I think he needs to be stated again how bad a knockout loss would be to Fury's career and Hennessey's position as a promoter considering the current deal with channel 5.

Anyway a very long winded argument for why they're doing what they're doing from me there, but I looking forward to seeing Chris Eubank jnr in action again.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

I'm usually not one to rush fighters but didnt Fury when he dumped his titles say something along the lines of I'm moving on to bigger things? Maddalone is past it (wasn't much good to begin with) and hardly a step up? I realise Fury has his limitations and they're right to move him along slowly but why pretend otherwise with the moving on to bigger things rubbish.

PS it wasn't long winded at all................

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I'm usually not one to rush fighters but didnt Fury when he dumped his titles say something along the lines of I'm moving on to bigger things? Maddalone is past it (wasn't much good to begin with) and hardly a step up? I realise Fury has his limitations and they're right to move him along slowly but why pretend otherwise with the moving on to bigger things rubbish.

PS it wasn't long winded at all................

The bull**** talk about moving up in levels is to keep the general public (and those tuning in on channel 5) happy, nothing more. Maddalone is a step up from old Rogan at least.
    I'm sure we'll get more bull**** talk from Hennessey tonight (maybe not from Fury if the Rogan fight is anything to go by), but it's to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I'm more concerned with finding progression with Fury than who he fights for the next while, with his young age and other factors taken into consideration. He normally gives exciting fights regardless of who he's fighting anyway.

• Advertisement

id like to see fury get in with Mike Perez who remains unbeaten and has won prizefighter esaily enough or else Price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

5th round stoppage, Fury never looked like losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

As one-sided as you could ever see. Madallone was rubbish. Fury's Dad now talking about Klitchko:rolleyes: Probably when he's 50:( That world organisation is a joke as well.

where do they get them froma total mismatch hennessey talking crap as usual
    and bernstien pumping the win for all he could

• Advertisement

yet another American punchbag for Fury,i remember the likes of Joe Baxi lee Savold Lee Oma Gus Lesnivich Bonecrusher Smith coming over and fighting Bruce Woodcock Freddie Mills Frank Bruno etc,and usually beating them no such a thing now for the local champions HEAVYWEIGHT BOXING HAS REALLY WENT DOWN THE DRAIN

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Eubank jr is looking in good shape anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how he turns out in a couple of years time.

Advertisement