Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Tattoo

Options
  • 06-07-2012 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Whatsup people?

So after debating with myself for so long i finally decided to get a tattoo (still havent decided on a design or a place). I am not Irish but i want something irishy on my body. I was thinking of a custom celtic cross on my upper arm ( just a thought and not sure yet). It wont be too big now and will be black. Since this is the first time i am getting a tattoo i have no idea on how the whole process works. I've been talking to some of my friends over the last couple of weeks and i am getting mixed responses. So i thought i will pin down some questions and ask you guys.

1) First of all, does the upper arm hurt a lot?

2) I am in Dublin and would like to get the tattoing done in Dublin itself. Could you reccomend me some good places?

3) Is there any place (website/magazine) that i can refer to to get some design ideas.

4) I work out in the Gym every other day. How long will it take for my arm to heal and i will be able to work out again ? I realize that the healing process is different for different people but do you think a couple of days will be fine?

5) How do i look after the tattoo after its been done? Should i apply some lotion or anything of that sort. I was told by one of my collegues that the tattoos fade after some time? If this is true, how long will i have to wait before i re ink it?

6) What kind of price are we talking about for a tattoo on the upper arm?

I realize that there are too many questions above but any help will be greatly appreciated.

Peace

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

jmx009 wrote: »
    1) First of all, does the upper arm hurt a lot?

This depends on your own pain threshold. If you tattoo a muscley part of your body it won't hurt say as much as the foot. But again, it's up to how much pain you can take. It'll sting, but that's all I can say.
    2) I am in Dublin and would like to get the tattoing done in Dublin itself. Could you reccomend me some good places?

Have a trawl through the sticky of portfolios in this forum and get a better idea of what artist you think would be more suited to your vision.
    3) Is there any place (website/magazine) that i can refer to to get some design ideas.

Google image search...but seriously there's a good site called DeviantArt.com that has independent artists uploading their stuff. Just be sure to ask permission of the artist if you see something you'd like on you permanently.
    4) I work out in the Gym every other day. How long will it take for my arm to heal and i will be able to work out again ? I realize that the healing process is different for different people but do you think a couple of days will be fine?

Yes you'll be able to work out again, I'd just leave any strenuous movement until it's fully healed. It usually takes anything from two weeks or more to fully heal, but that's up to how strict you are with the aftercare. The artist will go through this with you too.
    5) How do i look after the tattoo after its been done? Should i apply some lotion or anything of that sort. I was told by one of my collegues that the tattoos fade after some time? If this is true, how long will i have to wait before i re ink it?

Re-ink? I'd say wait for it to heal fully before getting any more work done. With aftercare there are a few lotions (tattoo goo it's called) that are available, but I think the best is bepanthen. You're told to use a cream without a pigment that'll take the ink out of the tattoo. Also the artist will let you know what's best.
    6) What kind of price are we talking about for a tattoo on the upper arm?

Sorry for being vague, but it'll depend on how large and detailed you want the piece. If there's colour, placement, size (oh wait I said that). The general rate is from 100 - 200 an hour. Be sure to discuss this with the artist first.

Best of luck!

Advertisement