Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants rights on Rent a Room Scheme

Options
  • 06-07-2012 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭

Just wondering what is the situation with a rent a room scheme as regards tenants rights?
    Basically I was evicted in the space of a few hours, the landlord never gave me any notice and is limiting the time i can enter the property to retrieve my possessions. Surely there must be some sort of rules against this.?
    Just to clear up a few questions:
    If the landlord is claiming to be doing the Rent a Room Scheme do they need to register with someone?
    What is the minimum notice period for eviction?
    If it is the Rent A Room Scheme am i still entitled to receipts for payments for rent?

Regards
    Elbows22

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/rent_a_room_scheme.html

If the landlord is claiming to be doing the Rent a Room Scheme do they need to register with someone? NO.

What is the minimum notice period for eviction? DEPENDS ON THE AGREEMENT YOU SIGNED.

If it is the Rent A Room Scheme am i still entitled to receipts for payments for rent? NO OBLIGATION TO PROVIDE RENT BOOK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Forget the law.....it's not on your side.

Call the Viper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Farcear wrote: »
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/rent_a_room_scheme.html

If the landlord is claiming to be doing the Rent a Room Scheme do they need to register with someone? NO.

What is the minimum notice period for eviction? DEPENDS ON THE AGREEMENT YOU SIGNED.

If it is the Rent A Room Scheme am i still entitled to receipts for payments for rent? NO OBLIGATION TO PROVIDE RENT BOOK.

Thanks for the quick reply :)
    As regards the agreement signed - I requested a contract so we would not run into this situation and she failed to provide one - Where would i stand on that?
    I understand the non obligation to provide the rent book but surely there must be some way the landlord has to provide proof the rent was paid?
    Sorry for all the questions. :)

Also how does the landlord prove that the amount received was less than 10,000?

Elbows22 wrote: »
    Also how does the landlord prove that the amount received was less than 10,000?

Receipts, bank statements, etc.

Thanks for the quick reply :)
    As regards the agreement signed - I requested a contract so we would not run into this situation and she failed to provide one - Where would i stand on that?
    This also means that private tenants living in your home are living under alicensee agreement not a tenancy agreement and are really only entitled to reasonable notice if you choose to terminate the agreement.

How long is a piece of string?

I understand the non obligation to provide the rent book but surely there must be some way the landlord has to provide proof the rent was paid?
    Sorry for all the questions. :)

Note, it's not "rent" because you are not a tenant. It is just a licence fee.

• Advertisement

Farcear wrote: »
    Receipts, bank statements, etc.

How long is a piece of string?

Note, it's not "rent" because you are not a tenant. It is just a licence fee.

Thanks Farcear you have been a great help :)
    The only thing(i hope) that confuses me though is this:
    If the landlord is claiming to be using the Rent a Room Scheme but is not bothered about collecting relief - isnt that a bit strange?
    Also what do you reckon yourself would be considered "Reasonable notice" ?I'd assume 2 hours would not be?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

afaik if you live with the landlord/owner in their home you are not covered by the usual tenants rights. you are a 'licencee' tenant and have very little rights. they can tell you to leave with basically no notice etc. you would be better off to call threshold for advice.

If the landlord is claiming to be using the Rent a Room Scheme but is not bothered about collecting relief - isnt that a bit strange?

Honestly, that's an issue for him and the Revenue.

I make it max rent of €833.33 a month from a tenant, which is a huge rent for just a room. So on a practical note, I can't see how landlords ever exceed the 10k limit as long as they just have one tenant.

Also what do you reckon yourself would be considered "Reasonable notice" ?I'd assume 2 hours would not be?

Really, piece of string. Facts of the case. Reason for termination. Etc. Etc.

See the link for details of the conflict resolution mechanism.

• Site Banned Posts: 3 professional20

Rights as a tenant in private rented accommodation
    You are entitled to quiet and exclusive enjoyment of your home
    You are entitled to certain minimum standards of accommodation
    You are entitled to a rent book
    You have the right to contact the landlord or their agent at any reasonable times. You are also entitled to the appropriate contact information you need to do so (telephone numbers, email addresses, postal addresses, etc.)
    Your landlord is only allowed to enter your home with your permission. If the landlord needs to carry out repairs or inspect the premises, it should be by prior arrangement, except in an emergency
    You are entitled to reimbursement for any repairs that you carry out that are the landlord's responsibility
    You are entitled to have friends to stay overnight or for short periods, unless specifically forbidden in your tenancy agreement. You must tell your landlord about an extra person moving in
    You are entitled to a certain amount of notice of the termination of your tenancy
    You are entitled to refer any disputes to the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB) without being penalised for doing so
    You have the right to a copy of any register entry held by the PRTB dealing with your tenancy
    Since 1 January 2009, all homes for rent must have a Building Energy Rating (BER). A BER will inform you how energy-efficient the home is. It will help you make an informed choice when comparing properties to rent.

It must be delivered at least 4 weeks before the notice period ends or 1 month if rent is paid monthly

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Rights as a tenant in private rented accommodation

You should try reading the topic and posts, before posting.

It is not a private rented accommodation. It is a rent-a-room scheme, which does NOT carry the rights you posted.

The OP needs to contact Threshold for proper advice, but under the rent a room scheme, there are very few rights.

• Advertisement
Advertisement