Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid Morning Radio (9am-12pm)

Options
  • 05-07-2012 8:06pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, I was flicking through the stations this morning, and it occurred to me just how dismally poor the choice of radio at this time of morning is.

Today FM:
    There's Ray D'Arcy, getting steadily and steadily more crotchety and miserable as time goes on, spending half his time talking about depression/obesity/abuse/children, etc.

Newstalk:
    There's NT Breakfast, which I'm sorry, I just don't want to listen to any more because:
    a) It's crap without Yates
    b) It's just depressing listening to political/economic stuff right now

Then at 10am, Tom Dunne comes on. Now, I genuinely like Tom Dunne, and I've said it before, and will say it again, he's in his element when interviewing people from the music industry, but just can't hack it when you get down to more serious topics (see paragraph on D'Arcy).

2FM:
    Ryan Tubridy/Colm Hayes, see paragraph on D'Arcy, because it's basically the same format.

Radio 1:
    I'll admit to not having listened to R1 at this time before, but since it's R1, I'm going to guess it's a talk heavy, politics/CA period as well.

Lyric and RnaG
    Lyric isn't really my cup of tea, and RnaG is just Radio 1 in Irish, nothing but talk.

So that's the nationals. My local stations:

RED FM
    Victor Barry has his moments, but really this is just more in the vain of D'Arcy/Tubridy/Dunne.

Spin SW
    Not a station I listen to any more.

So what's the point of all this you ask? Well, I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's no option during this timeslot other than monotonous talk radio. I know D'Arcy/Tubridy play music, but they still talk a lot about politics/CA stuff, which I just really don't want to listen to at that time.

Have I missed any gems of shows out there? I suppose what I'm really looking for is a show like KC's or Ray Foley's, something that has a balance between music and talk, and when they do talk, they don't focus on the dreary misery that seems to have enveloped most stations since about 2008.

/lament

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

You missed out the living legend that is prenders here in cork. But ya darcy is taking the urine since he came back, and his interview with kathleen lynch was shockingly bad.

Radio one is actually good(John Murray excluded) from ten to twelve as when PK is on he is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    So, I was flicking through the stations this morning, and it occurred to me just how dismally poor the choice of radio at this time of morning is.

Today FM:
    There's Ray D'Arcy, getting steadily and steadily more crotchety and miserable as time goes on, spending half his time talking about depression/obesity/abuse/children, etc.

Newstalk:
    There's NT Breakfast, which I'm sorry, I just don't want to listen to any more because:
    a) It's crap without Yates
    b) It's just depressing listening to political/economic stuff right now

Then at 10am, Tom Dunne comes on. Now, I genuinely like Tom Dunne, and I've said it before, and will say it again, he's in his element when interviewing people from the music industry, but just can't hack it when you get down to more serious topics (see paragraph on D'Arcy).

2FM:
    Ryan Tubridy/Colm Hayes, see paragraph on D'Arcy, because it's basically the same format.

Radio 1:
    I'll admit to not having listened to R1 at this time before, but since it's R1, I'm going to guess it's a talk heavy, politics/CA period as well.

Lyric and RnaG
    Lyric isn't really my cup of tea, and RnaG is just Radio 1 in Irish, nothing but talk.

So that's the nationals. My local stations:

RED FM
    Victor Barry has his moments, but really this is just more in the vain of D'Arcy/Tubridy/Dunne.

Spin SW
    Not a station I listen to any more.

So what's the point of all this you ask? Well, I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's no option during this timeslot other than monotonous talk radio. I know D'Arcy/Tubridy play music, but they still talk a lot about politics/CA stuff, which I just really don't want to listen to at that time.

Have I missed any gems of shows out there? I suppose what I'm really looking for is a show like KC's or Ray Foley's, something that has a balance between music and talk, and when they do talk, they don't focus on the dreary misery that seems to have enveloped most stations since about 2008.

/lament

Broaden your horizons. 'Tune In' radio app for a start - radio stations from all over the world. Why would you listen to stuff you don't like?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Broaden your horizons. 'Tune In' radio app for a start - radio stations from all over the world. Why would you listen to stuff you don't like?

Internet connection where I'm living isn't good enough to stream unfortunately. Though TuneIn is great, have found some great stations through it (the NRJ network in Finland is particularly good)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

darcy is gone cat talking about babies babies babies, jeyscus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Hayes is the best of a bad bunch. Tom Dunne is a boring git, Ray is a patronizing little know it all, John Murray is like poison being poured into your ears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭goingpostal1

lab man wrote: »
    darcy is gone cat talking about babies babies babies, jeyscus!

has ray gone all broody on us?

wellif ya want toknow about breast feeding or changing nappies well then listen in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭goingpostal1

lab man wrote: »
    wellif ya want toknow about breast feeding or changing nappies well then listen in

I'd rather eat a big bag of sh1t than listen to D'Arcy go on about breeding. Who are more boring: baby bores or wedding bores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Today with Pat Kenny would be the best thing on at that time of day. My problem is the 9 to 10 slot, there's feck all on worth listening to. My high hopes that Tubridy was going to be replaced with something decent on Radio 1 was quickly dashed by John Murray.

without a doubt p k is above the rest and he gives irish music talent a good shot on his show aswell

• Advertisement
Advertisement