Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Camping

Options
  • 05-07-2012 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hey, a few of us are organising to go camping in a few weeks.
    Its our first time , were all around 18 and cant really afford a campsite..

So does anyone know of a good spot were a few of us (10-20) could set up camp for two nights? preferably around wicklow , somewhere we can easily get to from dublin by bus or train.

Thanks!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

Hi, I don't know of any spots off hand where you can camp free of charge, but would you all not chip in and make up enough money to stay at a camp site? I say this because that way you will have the likes of fresh running water, toilets, shower facilities, in some sites cooking facilities etc. Just one side note however, you'd have to be respectful of the others camping there, most sites will have a no noise policy beyond a certain time for the sake of people with families staying there.

This year was our first year camping and we stayed in a nice spot in Wicklow called Hidden Valley. Unfortunately the weather wasn't on our side and we wound up leaving early. It may not be an issue with your group, but we had children with us and that gets messy! Hidden Valley was a good spot as it had all of the facilities I mentioned above, and it made life a little easier. It wasn't particularly expensive either if I remember correctly. I was speaking to someone recently about our trip there, and I was told that the same owner of Hidden Valley also runs a campsite in Red Cross, while I'll definitely get to. It seems they have an on site bar and restaurant also.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

Zoria wrote: »
    Hi, I don't know of any spots off hand where you can camp free of charge, but would you all not chip in and make up enough money to stay at a camp site? I say this because that way you will have the likes of fresh running water, toilets, shower facilities, in some sites cooking facilities etc. Just one side note however, you'd have to be respectful of the others camping there, most sites will have a no noise policy beyond a certain time for the sake of people with families staying there.

This year was our first year camping and we stayed in a nice spot in Wicklow called Hidden Valley. Unfortunately the weather wasn't on our side and we wound up leaving early. It may not be an issue with your group, but we had children with us and that gets messy! Hidden Valley was a good spot as it had all of the facilities I mentioned above, and it made life a little easier. It wasn't particularly expensive either if I remember correctly. I was speaking to someone recently about our trip there, and I was told that the same owner of Hidden Valley also runs a campsite in Red Cross, while I'll definitely get to. It seems they have an on site bar and restaurant also.

But then they can't get trollied.

I know a very good spot, nobody passes through after about 8pm. It is a good 45 Minute walk from shankill Dublin bus stop though, if that's your transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

lorrieq wrote: »
    But then they can't get trollied.

I know a very good spot, nobody passes through after about 8pm. It is a good 45 Minute walk from shankill Dublin bus stop though, if that's your transport.
    That shouldn't be the aim. I gave advice that they should try a camp site as they will have amenities there and it is safer. I don't believe it's a good idea for a bunch of young teens in the middle of no where getting "trollied" in case something happened.

Advertisement