Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technomate TM7100

Options
  • 05-07-2012 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a Technomate TM7100 for saorview and freesat combo as looks easy to record.
    Does anyone here use one? Is it "wifeproof"?
    Can it also play media from a external drive or can it be networked up to existing network/PC?/Mac as a media player?
    Also is there 7 day epg for the freesat channels?
    Sorry for all the questions but damn hard to find useful info online on this box or even an irish supplier.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Wote

I've had extensive experience with Technomates so here's my take on the 7100.

It's a triple tuner - so there are two DVB-S2 tuners and one DVB-T tuner. It will receive the Saorview and Freesat channels but you will need to manually tune it and order the channels around yourself.

The picture quality is excellent but the User Interface is awful and dated. There will be no Red Button or Digital Aertel text.

The Technomate will record to a USB or eSATA connected hard disk but isn't a PVR in the strictest sense of the word, so no series link or automatic over-running programme recording.

The LAN port is just for Technomate's undocumented features - of which there are many - most of which can't be discussed here.

There is an undocumented feature that allows the Freesat EPG to be uploaded but it's a bodge to be honest and you need to remember to run it.

So is it "Wifeproof"? It is provided you do the following:
    • Manually store and sort all of your TV channels in the order you want - this takes a lot of time
    • Manually retune your box if channels parameters change
    • Manually upload the Freesat EPG using the undocumented features
    If you want a hobby box that you can play with, any Technomate is good but I personally wouldn't recommend it for family use.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

Wote wrote: »
    There will be no Red Button

But the BBC red button streams can be tuned in and treated as normal channels. A good use for this is recording them if you want to.

I agree the Red Button streams can be tuned in but the Digital Ceefax is missing and so too is the interactivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

Digital Ceefax wouldn't be an issue for me with the internet being readily available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Technomates are simple to use boxes. They most certainly are not an enthusiasts'/hobbiest box.

My 72 year old dad uses one, the TM6900 Combo Plus, which is the single DVB-S2 tuner and DVB-T. I have the German design of the Technomates in the Clarke Techs. Its one of the best boxes I have ever bought. The tuners are very sensitive which is more than can be said for a lot of the cheap ass boxes that are out.

Once configured they are fine. You can even download channel lists to it. They combine Saorview and FTA satellite in one channel list. You can even use a bit of software that downloads from Lyngsat wbsite, so you dont even need to manually scan. You can just edit, set favourites etc. Then load it from the USB port. Simple.

The 7 day epg workaround is documented. The epg data saves itself onto the boxes memory itself.

Oh yeah.... and the ethernet port is enabled. Youtube and internet radio.

7102 has a DVB-T2 tuner. 7100 has a DVB-T tuner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Having a good think about getting on of these allright. Is it easy to use as a media server? or can one use nexflix on the lan saide?
    Anyone know where these can be bought? I'm only seeing uk shops at very pricy prices

If it's a media server and a wife friendly interface you want - buy or build a HTPC. You won't regret it. DVBviewer and Mediaportal are cheap (DVBViewer) or free (Mediaportal). I have two internal DVB-S2 tuners for 28.2 and a usb tuner for my motorised dish.

Add in an Omnikey reader and you're set. You'll need to read up about the mechanics a bit but all my family just point the remote at the TV and watch whatever TV they want either in the lounge or on laptops around the house.

Advertisement