Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser eye treatment cost ?

Options
  • 05-07-2012 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could give me an average price on laser eye treatment ? I know i would need a consultation and they will give me a price. just looking for a ball park figure to see if its even possible for me at the moment. Thank You
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Realistically, you'd be looking at about 1700 as the cheapest. And that's if you want to do it cheap which isn't advisable for surgery on your eyes. The top places charge about 3,500 to 4,000 all in. Although bear in mind you can claim 20% tax back and your health insurer may offer a further reduction.

You may not be suitable for treatment so go get the consultation before you start thinking about money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gobblet

why do some places advertise from €395 per eye then?
    Or is that in the UK?
    Is so would it not be worth a trip over to save a few quid?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have seen adverts on boards @ €495 per eye .
    Surly these have to adhere to the same standards.?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Mousewar is giving you best advice there. My wife paid €3k for the surgery 4 years ago. Then she got €1200 back through our health insurance and almost €800 back through tax.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Not doubting his advice, I'm just curious as to these adverts. Are they misleading & not including all the costs?

• Advertisement

Generally the ads offering 400 or 500 per eye are based on you satisfying criteria that are almost impossible. I don't think I've heard of anyone actually getting it for that price.
    Also they tend to be places that just aren't as well considered as the top places. To be honest it's surgery on your eyes. I wouldn't even consider such insanely cheap offers.

As for going abroad for it - no. You'll need checkups 1 day, 1 week, 3 months and one year after. Also if you have any problems you would want to be able to get to your surgeon.
    Don't look to get this done cheaply.

It's a bit UK-centered but still an interesting article about surgery and the pros and cons.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/health/health/4437938/Why-you-must-read-smallprint-on-laser-eye-surgery.html

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

I just paid €1535 per eye in the Mater Private for LASEK. +€120 for the initial assesment.

And how'd it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

It was LASEK so the night of the operations and following days where not fun!
    It's been just over a week since the second eye was done and while my vison has improved it is still nowhere near 20/20 but I understand it can take a few weeks to settle down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

lil_tuts wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone could give me an average price on laser eye treatment ? I know i would need a consultation and they will give me a price. just looking for a ball park figure to see if its even possible for me at the moment. Thank You

You can get a more accurate ball-park figure (if that make sense) if you post your current prescription. Then maybe someone who had the same prescription can post roughly how much they paid for their surgery.

As far as I know it's quite a large difference in price between someone who is -1.0 and someone who is -10.0.

But you will be able to pay monthly installments on at least one of the companies, i should hope most offer some sort of monthly payment plan though, not everyone has a few grand stashed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tbeans

Charisteas wrote: »
    As far as I know it's quite a large difference in price between someone who is -1.0 and someone who is -10.0.

This isn’t necessary correct. I’m a -6.5 and my sister -2, we both went to the same clinic and picked the same procedure and guess who paid the lower price…..me with my -6.5 half blind eyesight. There was a year between both our treatments. I’m sure there is difference but it’s not as huge as you imagine.

The best thing to do is to book into a free consultation and you’ll get an idea of price. Be prepared to be quoted at least 3/3.5K

Some clinics price based on prescription. Most don't as far as i know.

Advertisement