Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what can i get- grant

Options
  • 05-07-2012 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

i've been unemployed for a year so im 99% sure i qualify for the BTEA- i've been offered level 8, i only have a level 6 diploma from a part time course,
    but i did do one year of level 7 a few years ago which i did not get a grant for so does anyone know will I need to pay fee's/ student service charge? or if not where can i apply to get them covered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi ditzyfairy,

Congrats on your course offer :)

Regarding your query free fees are available for your fist shot at third level education. If you complete a qualification, e.g. a level 6, then generally you aren't eligible for free fees, registration fee support or a grant for the equivalent portion of any subsequent qualification you take. This applies irregardless of whether you funded your initial qualification yourself.

If you left a course part-way through the year as you did with the level 7 you are usually considered to have forfeited your free fee/ grant / registration fee entitlement for a period of five years from the date you left the course.

In your case i would suggest you talk directly to the Dept of Education Student Support Unit which is the dept responsible for ensuring fee policy is implemented in the colleges. They can give you more detailed info on the supports and charges you might be facing. You can contact them on 057 93 25317. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Hi ditzyfairy,

Congrats on your course offer :)

Regarding your query free fees are available for your fist shot at third level education. If you complete a qualification, e.g. a level 6, then generally you aren't eligible for free fees, registration fee support or a grant for the equivalent portion of any subsequent qualification you take. This applies irregardless of whether you funded your initial qualification yourself.

If you left a course part-way through the year as you did with the level 7 you are usually considered to have forfeited your free fee/ grant / registration fee entitlement for a period of five years from the date you left the course.

In your case i would suggest you talk directly to the Dept of Education Student Support Unit which is the dept responsible for ensuring fee policy is implemented in the colleges. They can give you more detailed info on the supports and charges you might be facing. You can contact them on 057 93 25317. Hope this helps.

thank you so much for that,

Ok so from what I understand once its 5+ years since I left last 3rd level course during the year I can still get the free fee/grant/registration fee...
    I'll give them a call to see what they saythanks again :)

Advertisement