Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search results help please

Options
  • 05-07-2012 5:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

If someone could please answer my question I'd be very grateful.

I found some dodgy websites in the search results history of my windows browser.
    If someone using my computer was on a site and some other sites popped up behind the one being viewed would they too enter the search bar history?
    Or is the only way of entering the history by manually typing in a word or address?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There is a thing known as browser hijacking. This can happen if you visit a dodgy website.
    The malicious code from that site can take control of your web browser and direct you to websites that someone else wants you to see.

One way this is done is to put dodgy links in a search results page.

In order to test your machine for such problems you need to run some security software.
    Be careful, there is fake software that claims to to problems but is actually a virus.

If you have a good virus scanner, run it. If you're not sure let us know and we'll help.
    Microsoft's free Security Essentials is quite good and also free.
    Don't install two anti-virus programs at the same time though!

Also download and run the free version of Malwarebytes. This can also help remove dodgy stuff.

You can also try a different (better :)) web browser such as Firefox or Chrome. I presume you're using Internet Explorer, the one that came with your PC? If the problem doesn happen with a different browser then you should know that your current browser is compromised.

Advertisement