Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S.I. No. 109/1984 and "No Ticket, No Travel, No Excuses"

Options
  • 04-07-2012 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

Could this be made a sticky so that people understand where Irish Rail's Marketing Dept (and the high horses) and the Law actually differ. Contrary to the blanket statement "No Ticket, No Travel, No Excuses" a person can travel without a ticket in the instance where, for example, there is no ticket machine and the ticket office is closed:
    4. Where the Board gives notice that a station is unattended or the booking office is closed,
    or where any person is instructed by an authorised person to board a train at a station without purchasing a ticket at the booking office so as not to delay the departure of the train from the station,
    any person not in possession of a valid ticket entitling him or her to travel may enter a vehicle at that station for the purpose of travelling but that person must obtain a ticket or other authority from an authorised person on the train as soon as practicable after entering any vehicle or from an authorised person on arrival at the station to which such person is travelling by the train.

That's S4 of S.I. No. 109/1984 — Coras Iompair Éireann Bye-Laws (Confirmation) Order, 1984.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some clarification for those who come out with "a ticket machine is an office" or "they didn't have ticket machines in 1984" as they usually do.

Irish Rail most certainly had ticket machines in 1984 - they introduced them they day they introduce Maynooth commuter line services, although they did withdraw them many years before the touchscreen units appeared. If they had intended a ticket machine, which cannot offer every ticket, to be seen as an "office" they would have had to say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

MYOB wrote: »
    Irish Rail most certainly had ticket machines in 1984 - they introduced them they day they introduce Maynooth commuter line services
    I saw the one in Leixlip Louisa Bridge station in late 1999. It was like the older London Underground machines: a button for every stop on the network. I'd say they'd be worth a few quid now.

But I digress. Regardless of the situations, the Bye Laws do cite two instances where it is possible to travel without a ticket, debunking the "No Ticket, No Travel" mantra.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

n97Mini 4. Where the Board gives notice that a station is unattended or the booking office is closed,
    or where any person is instructed by an authorised person to board a train at a station without purchasing a ticket at the booking office so as not to delay the departure of the train from the station,

What,I wonder is the legal definition of the Board "giving notice"...?

Also I note the rather specific reason of "so as not to delay the departure of the train from the station"......rather enough there for a day or two in the Law Library I should think ? :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

AlekSmart wrote: »

Also I note the rather specific reason of "so as not to delay the departure of the train from the station"......rather enough there for a day or two in the Law Library I should think ? :)
    For some stations leaving the gate open that leads onto the platform is considered "notice" that the station is unattended/unmanned, every station will be different and Broombridge is in a league all its own:D

There probably isn't one, as it's the practical implementation of the law that is important. I'm sure a judge would rule that "lights off and nobody home" is giving notice in a practical sense.
    That's the simpler of the two, imho. It simply gives leave for an agent of CIE to tell someone to board a train without a ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I don't see the part which covers "I overslept/the queue was too long/the train was on the platform and I was afraid it would go without me" and the myriad other ways in which posters here expect IE to simply accept when being known to do so opens the door for the scam artists to take the p!ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I'm not quite sure what's new about any of this - it has always been the case that where there are no facilities to buy the ticket appropriate to your journey at the station of departure that you do so at the next available point (i.e. destination or changing point).

What's new is that roughly two/three years ago IE became far more rigorous in issuing standard fare penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

dowlingm wrote: »
    I don't see the part which covers "I overslept/the queue was too long/the train was on the platform and I was afraid it would go without me" and the myriad other ways in which posters here expect IE to simply accept when being known to do so opens the door for the scam artists to take the p!ss.

Don't forget other classics such as

• "I look respectable, I wear a suit"
    • "I've a car parked somewhere"
    • "I'm a mother and it's time for dinner/Bosco/homework"
    • "Don't you recognise me, I make this trip once a week"
    • "He had it in for me"
    • "I know my rights, you can't fine me"
    • "This wasn't the case the last time I got a train. Last year. In London"
    • "A man on the internet/in the pub said that..."
    Or the all time classic...

"I didn't know you actually need a ticket"

All we need now is Larry Gogan to count them down to Number One :cool:

lxflyer wrote: »
    What's new is that roughly two/three years ago IE became far more rigorous in issuing standard fare penalties.
    And erroneous slogans such as the one the one the thread title...

n97 mini wrote: »
    And erroneous slogans such as the one the one the thread title...

Nah that's small beer...."Serving the ENTIRE Community" is far more nonsensical ? :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Advertisement

Nah that's small beer...."Serving the ENTIRE Community" is far more nonsensical ? :o

Only a select few people can get away with a statement like that without having others blathering "oh, no matter what CIE do you won't be happy... did they steal your crisps" etc

n97 mini wrote: »
    Only a select few people can get away with a statement like that without having others blathering "oh, no matter what CIE do you won't be happy... did they steal your crisps" etc

OH...is there a prize then ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

OH...is there a prize then ? :D

A golden fixed penalty notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

After reading this thread, I predict we'll be seeing another "Appealing an Irish Rail fine" thread soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

So, if I'm interpreting this statutory instrument correctly, anyone can board a train without a ticket if the station is unattended. And that the only obligation on the passenger is to purchase a ticket either on board or at the alighting station.

Is that correct? So, even where a ticket machine is present and functioning, you could argue the point that you are entitled to travel without a ticket based on this out-of-date wording? At any point on your journey should you get stopped by a member of staff all you have to do is pay the normal fare (not the standard fare).

Correct me if I'm wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

The juicy bits from an article (by a barrister) on p33 of this linked PDF:

The juicy bits from an article (by a barrister) on p33 of this linked PDF:
    http://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/Gazette/Gazette%202011/November%202011.pdf

"The most important statutory provision in relation to fare evasion is section 132 of the Railway Safety Act 2005. This section creates two offences. Firstly, where an employee of Irish Rail asks for a ticket, and a passenger does not have one, the passenger must do one of three things:
    1) Pay the standard fare,
    2) Pay another fare as determined by Irish Rail,
    or
    3) Give the employee his name and address.

Failure to do one of these things is an offence, with a maximum fine of €1,000 (section 132(2)). Secondly, under section 132(3), where a passenger attempts to travel on a train without paying a fare, and “with intent to avoid such payment”, he is guilty of an offence. Again, the maximum fine is €1,000.

This second offence is the most important one and goes to the core of the issue. In order to have committed the offence, the passenger must be on a train without a ticket (the actus reus) and intend to avoid paying the fare (the mens rea). The implications of this will be discussed below. Both of these fines are in addition to the requirement to pay a standard fare for the journey.

These offences have to be read in conjunction with statutory instrument 109 of 1984, enacted under section 22(4) of the Transport Act 1950. Bye-law 3 of that SI states that no person shall travel on a train without a valid ticket. It is unclear what the impact of this is, as it is expressly stated that bye-law 3 is not an offence. Bye-law 4 states: 'Where any person is instructed by an authorised person to board a train at a station without purchasing a ticket at the booking office so as not to delay the departure of the train from the station, any person not in possession of a valid ticket entitling him or her to travel may enter a vehicle at that station for the purpose of travelling, but that person must obtain a ticket or other authority from an authorised person on the train as soon as practicable after entering any vehicle, or from an authorised person on arrival at the station to which such person is travelling by the train'."

"Any passenger in default will need to explain why they did not buy a ticket before travel. Irish Rail RPU officers now receive automatic updates on whether the ticket office was open, how many vending machines were in operation, and whether those machines accepted credit cards or issued change."

"I would suggest that central to this question of intention are the actions of the ticketless passenger once they board the train. In order to show that they intended to buy a ticket, there may be some obligation on the passenger to seek out the RPU officer, explain the situation, and buy a ticket. If a ticketless passenger merely waits for an RPU officer to ask for their ticket, then it will be much harder to prove that there was no intention to evade."

"The best advice is to buy a ticket before travel. But that does not always happen. If a passenger is on a train without a ticket and has the intention of evade, then they have committed a criminal offence. The District Court trial is a standard criminal trial and Irish Rail needs to prove both elements of the offence beyond a reasonable doubt."

"In order to convince the court that they did not have an intention to evade a fare, the passenger would need a good reason for not prepurchasing a ticket, and probably needs to seek out an RPU officer as soon as he has boarded the train."

AngryLips wrote: »
    So, if I'm interpreting this statutory instrument correctly, anyone can board a train without a ticket if the station is unattended. And that the only obligation on the passenger is to purchase a ticket either on board or at the alighting station.

Is that correct? So, even where a ticket machine is present and functioning, you could argue the point that you are entitled to travel without a ticket based on this out-of-date wording? At any point on your journey should you get stopped by a member of staff all you have to do is pay the normal fare (not the standard fare).

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Where a ticket machine is working and capable of issuing your desired ticket, failure to use it would indicate that you had an intention to evade the fare, as indicated in the quotes in the previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

...in other words IR's motto of "No Ticket, No Travel, No Excuses" pretty much stands true once you consider these additional rules.

Nothing to see here, move along now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I wonder what reception a certain Senator would get on this board if she told her sorry tale and planned to appeal? ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That barristers opinion does not cover the issue of a ticket machine not being an "office". Ergo its pretty much useless for the case at hand - that no sane person can claim a machine is an office; and that TVMs existed in some considerable number when the byelaws were put in place.

• Advertisement

That barristers opinion does not cover the issue of a ticket machine not being an "office". Ergo its pretty much useless for the case at hand - that no sane person can claim a machine is an office; and that TVMs existed in some considerable number when the byelaws were put in place.

Plus..it's one learned friend's Opinion...nothing more.

I have little doubt but that a similarly gowned individual will be found to offer a totally opposing opinion.

It's far more realistic to take the Paddy Power view...two flies crawling up the Courtroom wall,which will fall off first ?....but remember if YOU lose,YOU pay....for everything ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Would it be of any use to write an IOU note to IR dated , timed and signed saying there was no one / no working ticket machine at the named station you got on the train at and your intention of buying a regular ticket.

Granted, it's an opinion. However, I'm not so sure that a machine wouldn't be considered equivalent to an office by a court. Courts tend to use the "reasonable person" principle on issues like this, and avoiding a fare on the basis that the office was closed while there was a working machine would, I am guessing, be seen as "not reasonable".

Anyway, the barrister seems himself to consider machines to be an equivalent, at least in this sentence: "Irish Rail RPU officers now receive automatic updates on whether the ticket office was open, how many vending machines were in operation, and whether those machines accepted credit cards or issued change."

Granted, it's an opinion. However, I'm not so sure that a machine wouldn't be considered equivalent to an office by a court. Courts tend to use the "reasonable person" principle on issues like this, and avoiding a fare on the basis that the office was closed while there was a working machine would, I am guessing, be seen as "not reasonable".

Anyway, the barrister seems himself to consider machines to be an equivalent, at least in this sentence: "Irish Rail RPU officers now receive automatic updates on whether the ticket office was open, how many vending machines were in operation, and whether those machines accepted credit cards or issued change."

A "reasonable person" does not consider a machine to be an office. There is no other wording in the SI.

There are many reasons that someone may not wish to use a TVM. They offer a limited set of tickets, do not take cards below a certain value, do not offer change above a certain value, offer change in coins, etc.

Threads on here would suggest that said RPU data is either rarely given or often woefully inaccurate. Then add in the not actually RPU staff in terminal stations who definitely have no access to this info.

AngryLips wrote: »
    ...in other words IR's motto of "No Ticket, No Travel, No Excuses" pretty much stands true once you consider these additional rules.

Nothing to see here, move along now.

Incorrect. As the barrister explained if you have no ticket for the purposes of fare dodging you're breaking the law. If you have no ticket for one of the reasons in the SI you're not breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Where a ticket machine is working and capable of issuing your desired ticket, failure to use it would indicate that you had an intention to evade the fare, as indicated in the quotes in the previous post.
    And if you are unable to read?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

As I said above, if you are unable to purchase the ticket appropriate to your journey at your boarding station (eg the ticket machine doesn't sell it), then it is permissible to board a train and pay at the first possible opportunity, such as your destination or an interchange station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

As I said above, if you are unable to purchase the ticket appropriate to your journey at your boarding station (eg the ticket machine doesn't sell it), then it is permissible to board a train and pay at the first possible opportunity, such as your destination or an interchange station.
    There is no legal obligation on any passenger or intending passenger to buy a ticket from the machines as they are not a booking office!

A "reasonable person" does not consider a machine to be an office. There is no other wording in the SI.

I do. Or at least see it as a reasonable equivalent in most circumstances. I'm betting a District judge would, too.
    There are many reasons that someone may not wish to use a TVM. They offer a limited set of tickets, do not take cards below a certain value, do not offer change above a certain value, offer change in coins, etc.

That's fair enough: if it can't sell you your ticket because of limited availability etc, then ok. And you would have to seek out an RPU officer at the first opportunity to explain this and pay your fare retrospectively. If they fine you, I think you'd still need to make that argument in court, or at least in an appeal to the RPU.
    And if you are unable to read?

As above; fair enough.

Agree. What I disagree with is the apparent argument that, just because the ticket guy has closed up for few minutes to go to the jacks, the fact that you can only buy a ticket from a machine automatically leads to "Woo hoo! Free train day!".

If the machine doesn't sell your ticket, won't take your card, is broken or you cannot read, then if the office is closed, get on the train by all means and explain and pay at your destination.
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    There is no legal obligation on any passenger or intending passenger to buy a ticket from the machines as they are not a booking office!

I think you're wrong here, taking a far too literal interpretation of the statute. If you have an intention to evade, you're committing an offence. Refusal to use a machine on principle, because of a poorly worded bye-law, looks to me to be an intention to evade.

I look forward to you testing your theory in the courts.

• Advertisement

I look forward to you testing your theory in the courts.

Why do I suspect that will be left to others.....;)

Advertisement