Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JobBridge... on your CV? Or off....

Options
  • 04-07-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I've had somebody suggest that admitting to spending 9 months in a Jobbridge Internship does not look good to prospective employers... Just want to get your thoughts?:confused:

I always thought it show's that your keen to get experience, however there is always the other point that you are doing this as you can't get work in the first instance (at least in the area you want to work in).

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Why would it not look good to prospective employers? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭road_high

You worked for free for 9 months; demonstrates a strong work-ethic, initiative and get up and go. Among others. Why on earth would you not want to sell all these to an employer :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

OP I am tweaking my cv now. I am currently on a JobBridge internship.

Ask yourself what would look better on your cv..............nine months sitting on your hole doing nothing and colecting the dole or nine months gaining new experiences, skills, capabilities in order to enhance your prospects of employment??

It will stand out a mile and will show you to be someone who is eager to learn and progress. I have talked to several employers and they say it would look very impressive on a cv.

If you want maybe leave out the JobBridge bit and just mention you were interning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You don't even have to mention that it was an internship on your cv. Put down the position and the duties as you would any other job. If you get an interview you can mention it there.

You don't even have to mention that it was an internship on your cv. Put down the position and the duties as you would any other job. If you get an interview you can mention it there.

I would disagree slightly here. If it was an internship then I would mention it as it shows that it you worked hard for little or no financial reward which in itself shows eagerness and determination. If two people had the exact same nine months experience and one was paid and the other was interning I would think the intern looks better, is hungry to succeeed, was willing to sacrifice things to getone and succeed. I know I have.............

Just my two cents...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 fourloco

Why would it not look good to prospective employers? :confused:

That's what I asked, pretty peeved over it being said, not nice to hear after working essentially for free for months.

@Frag420 @RacoonQueen I would not put 'jobbridge internship', just 'internship' on my CV. I don't have it as an internship on my CV, it looks like a job - regarding how you have it down on your CV, I think it depends on the position you are applying for and the experience required...& the way you have it down that will make it more likely that you get called for an interview so you can charm the socks of them!

Thanks for ye're 2 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

As someone who shortlists as part of their job, I can confirm that an internship looks very good on a CV, shows initiative, adaptability, drive and a willingness to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

There is no reason why you couldn't mention the role you were in while completing your Jobbridge on your CV. Stating what you did, your duties and responsibilities is enough really. Its work experience whether or not it in the field you are in or want to be in or not. Its the transferable skills and competency to do the next job that interviewers be looking into not just skills, qualities and personality. The work experience will stand to you! Be hones that you have that work experience as they will take notice of the gap in your CV otherwise, and probably ask why there is a gap in your work history?! Maybe just add internship/grad program/grad position instead of jobbridge if you concerned about it.

Also it be wise if you could give an example of a project or major responsibility within a team or individual work environment during your jobbridge and expand on that - STAR approach. You don't necessarily need to state it was a jobbridge. Just say it was voluntary work on your behalf or no need to state it either as its the work experience that counts more.

I'd only mention it a Jobbridge unless they ask in an interview. Say if they ask was it a Jobbridge, I'd be honest about it. If they ask you to tell them about your role maybe add it in, in at the interview if a question allows you to add it in. Its better doing that I think really. They get a better insight into your work history, work ethic and so on.

I get what you mean that stating it a jobbridge might not go down well with some employers cause it was unpaid/voluntary/couldn't get paid job in field. I know how you feel as I have had a lot of unpaid jobs all entirely voluntary work in various jobs and only one paid job in my work history that I often think employers look down on people for not having had paid work during their career. I noticed that kind of thing a few years back when asked if I ever had a paid job, asked on a form I filled out for a job, and think I might have been asked in one or two interviews before. Silly question to ask really.

Don't be put off cause it a jobbridge, add in the work experience regardless. 9 months of it was better than a major gap within that time frame. Means you have drive, motivation and ambition! Open to opportunities, willing to learn, keep skills up to date, show initiative. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

If you put it on your CV, make sure you have a good answer to the question: "Why didn't they offer you a job at the end of the internship?"

You answer should make you and the employer look good. Or at least, your language about the employer should be soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,799 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you did any other kind of fixed term contract, would you put details of the salary and conditions onto your CV? I think not ... and that's the way I'd handle a JB - unless I had some reason to think that working for free might look good (eg to get some specific experience).

But in generally, saying you've worked for free just makes you look desperate, IMHO, so I wouldn't.

Will be interesting for a labour-economics academic to do a study in 5-10 years time, to see if JobBridge participation has an affect on long-term salary levels. I have a feeling that the effect won't be good.

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    If you did any other kind of fixed term contract, would you put details of the salary and conditions onto your CV? I think not ... and that's the way I'd handle a JB - unless I had some reason to think that working for free might look good (eg to get some specific experience).

But in generally, saying you've worked for free just makes you look desperate, IMHO, so I wouldn't.

Will be interesting for a labour-economics academic to do a study in 5-10 years time, to see if JobBridge participation has an affect on long-term salary levels. I have a feeling that the effect won't be good.

Have to disagree here with the part in bold. I have spoken to many people in HR, recruitment etc and they all agree that if they see that someone has worked as an intern it shows determination, ambition and eagerness and does not make them look desperate. There is nothing desperate about gaining experience to further your career.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

you did 9 months on jobbridge - it could be viewed as a filler,ive seen many people do three four ce schemes they could just think youre unmotivated,and some interviewers have personal view on jobbridge and mightnt agree with you signing up to it as its a job blocker..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

You could hold off doing one and eventually have to cave into doing a jobbridge at some point just a matter of choosing the right one though with a suitable and representable company.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

My thoughts exactly. I honestly think that the scheme will have quite a detrimental affect on salaries in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

tempura wrote: »

Will be interesting for a labour-economics academic to do a study in 5-10 years time, to see if JobBridge participation has an affect on long-term salary levels. I have a feeling that the effect won't be good.[/QUOTe

My thoughts exactly. I honestly think that the scheme will have quite a detrimental affect on salaries in the future.

Eh, because some people are desperate to work! I can't understand why some people think that being desperate for work is a bad thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

neaideabh wrote: »

Eh, because some people are desperate to work! I can't understand why some people think that being desperate for work is a bad thing!

+1

Experience is experience no matter what you get paid. List what you've learnt from the internship/how you could apply it to the role you're applying to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,799 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

neaideabh wrote: »

Seeming desperate (for anything) is emotionally unattractive. I'm not saying that being keen to work is a bad thing. But there's a way of presenting this which will put an employer off.

And no employer wants to hire someone who's not capable to structuring their own day and keeping themselves busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 fennellryan

Well I completed a six month Jobbridge last year and I gained a lot from it - the boss was really sound and I got a lot of experience in different areas that I was interested in. I also received €100 a week from the employer. unfortunately they were only a small company and simply didn't have the resources to keep me on once the 6 months were up.

I started another internship in March of this year and it is a totally different situation. I found out when I started that I was actually covering a maternity leave!! The boss is just awful - a truly hideous man who treats me like complete dirt!! I am learning nothing new and I am completely self sufficient in the role - no mentor etc etc. I am gaining absolutely nothing from it and he has me in tears most days :( I'm giving in my one week's notice next week and I cannot wait! So from my experience of Jobbridge - you can either be very lucky and gain experience or you can just be used as a skivvy and free labour!!

I did these internships as I was so fed up of sitting around unemployed and you start to feel so useless and demoralised but really I don't think that working for free while everyone else in the company is getting paid for their day's work is much good for you either. And the weekly €50 extra barely covers the costs associated with working - transport, lunches, work clothes etc.

In September I am going back to university to finish the degree I dropped out of a couple of years ago and I cannot wait to leave the internship!! :D

Advertisement