Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theatre in Ennis in bars

Options
  • 04-07-2012 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Saw a play in Brandon's by chance last night. (v. Good)
    anyone know if this is a regular occurance?
    Nice to see something different in relaxed context.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

what was it? 1 act.. 3 act... comedy or highbrow? the idea of a pub in ennis hosting perhaps a 1 act play from each of the numerous drama groups in clare
    on a given night over the winter months sounds like a great idea.any thoughts?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 patchquinn

It was about an hour... ;-) actually I lost track of time, but yes i'd say three acts,(aren't they all nowadays) no interval..
    The play was called 'commencing' by Jane Shephard, v witty script, decently executed.
    The pub itself was actually a very good venue. (upstairs)
    Re regular thing; I was actually thinking the same thing myself. It would be great. Would there be enough theatre groups in ennis/Clare to get a run of plays? Would ennis have enough people interested in supporting/going to such?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Call me crazy, but I prefer to drink at pubs.

Wouldn't that sort of thing be perfect for Glór? I mean, they have multiple stage areas, proper theater setup, and of course also have a full bar.

theres deffo enough groups."sliabh aughty" put on 1 act comedys over the
    winter as a way of finding new talent/raising funds.im sure other groups do the same.it would be a great learning curve for new actors to perform in front of
    a non partisan audience.would there be people in ennis interested in going to see plays?would brandons or somebody else be willing to come on board? lots of things to be worked out but i think its a very interesting concept.

CptSternn wrote: »
    Call me crazy, but I prefer to drink at pubs.

Wouldn't that sort of thing be perfect for Glór? I mean, they have multiple stage areas, proper theater setup, and of course also have a full bar.

glor too expensive /big.id see this as a "PUB THEATER" concept.where people can perform /see plays in a relaxed non pressured setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

If there is a market for it then grand. I say good luck to those involved.

The point I was making is that, using myself for example, if I'm in a pub having a pint chatting away to the lads and all of a sudden they start trying to put on a performance, I would be a bit irked. I mean, I come to the pub for a few pints and the craíc, if we are told to quiet down and sit still it would definitely put a damper on the evening. As long as it doesn't interfere with the regulars and their experience then go for it sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 patchquinn

Hi cpt,
    I agree totally...in some pubs would simply not work, people have to respect the folk on stage and the folk who paid to see them, so talking not good.. and bar has to respect the regulars and fact it's a bar. And quality of Pub theatre/lunchtime theatre can be pretty woeful and ive seen a lot of that....but this was not that, this was a proper play and pub was different:
    A bar downstairs and a sort of club/gig venue upstairs; you would be drinking away unperturbed downstairs while all sorts of Bohemia went on overhead... ( place looked quiet theatre like proper set and adequate stage lighting, with folk sitting on padded bar stools and what looked like Church/confessional pews)

And got to have a drink before and after in bar downstairs, a cool bar in itself.
    chatting to girl on door (v. cute) Turns out this might be just a one off, the group responsible seem to just be doing it again Tuesday and weds this week, and thats it. Maybe its an experiment, if ennis can support it it's good, might attract others to do similar...hmmm idea fermenting..... If only wasn't so busy with work...

Advertisement