Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom Computer Build Power Supply?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

cirx08 wrote: »
    I'm building a new PC and I need help deciding if the power supply I might get would be right for me. I was thinking about getting a Corsair 500 Watt CX500 V2 Builder Series 80 Plus Power Supply and I have done an estimate on my power usage, would this power supply be right for me?

Part:|Name:|Watts:
    Motherboard|Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 S1155 Intel Z68 DDR3 ATX|25
    Processor|Intel Core i5-3550 S1155 3.3GHz 6MB|150
    Memory|Corsair Memory 4GB Vengeance Performance DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (x2)|25
    SSD|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|5
    Hard Disk|Seagate 1TB Barracuda SpinPoint SATA 3Gb/s 7200RPM 16MB 3.5"|10
    Graphics|EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 900MHz 2GB PCI-E HDMI|150
    CD/DVD|Lightscribe DVD Drive|15
    Other|Fans/USB/etc|25
    ||
    Total:||405
    I wouldn't go with that build, the SSD is of dubious reliability and speed, and the graphics card is pants. As well as that you're planning on getting a non-overclockable CPU with a motherboard that is meant for overclocking with.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cirx08

Eboggles wrote: »
    I wouldn't go with that build, the SSD is of dubious reliability and speed, and the graphics card is pants. As well as that you're planning on getting a non-overclockable CPU with a motherboard that is meant for overclocking with.

I'm not really a gamer other than the odd bit of MineCraft so i'm not too worried about the graphics card its only really there for the dual monitor capability and as for the overclocking I taught it was possible for the i5? Also what would be a good make of SSD in your opinion then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Also buy from hardwareversand as they're much cheaper than dabs

I'm not really a gamer other than the odd bit of MineCraft so i'm not too worried about the graphics card its only really there for the dual monitor capability and as for the overclocking I taught it was possible for the i5? Also what would be a good make of SSD in your opinion then?

Fill this out, there's some other things that you should change:

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

How can you tell if a processor is overclock compatibly?

• Advertisement

How can you tell if a processor is overclock compatibly?

For Intel, it has a K at the end of the processor name. If you fill out the sheet I can help you more.

For Intel, it has a K at the end of the processor name. If you fill out the sheet I can help you more.

Thanks and i think i'v already filled that out about a week ago in another thread but i was trying to build a cheaper rig :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

fill it out again Eboggles won't mind :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Fill this out, there's some other things that you should change:

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

1) Around €500.

2) Software and Web Development, Photoshop and some MineCraft.

3) No.

4) 250GB HDD, 1TB external drive I can put internal, Lightscribe DVD drive.

5) No.

5b) 32" 1920x1080p full hd, Might go for dual 20" in the future.

6) No.

7) Yes.

8) Cash/Credit Card/Laser.

9) Next month or two.

10) No, i'm fine with putting it together thanks :P

• Advertisement

Looks like I predicted your build before you posted it :cool:

:pac:

Skylinehead's build is spot on, get a 7750 if you want to do some light gaming.

Looks like I predicted your build before you posted it :cool:

:pac:

Maybe but I think i'v pretty much settled on this case, as for the RAM I think i might go with this and maybe a 120GB SSD to make sure I have enough space :P and i'm not really loving the power supply :/ but Eboggles can you top that?

Maybe but I think i'v pretty much settled on this case, as for the RAM I think i might go with this and maybe a 120GB SSD to make sure I have enough space :P and i'm not really loving the power supply :/ but Eboggles can you top that?

If you still intend on having an i5, there's no way that case and a 128GB SSD is fitting into €500.

If you still intend on having an i5, there's no way that case and a 128GB SSD is fitting into €500.

Well i'm not getting the SSD and case right away, i'm gonna fit it all into my current case for a while and then over time when i get more money then get the rest and look about the dual monitor setup when i get more space :)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

Also buy from hardwareversand as they're much cheaper than dabs

not necessarily, the build I have in mind is cheaper getting from Dabs/Komplett, people don't seem to be factoring in the discount codes that Dabs have

Why aren't you loving the PSU? It's the best in class for price/performance/reliability.

Also, why are you so intent on the Corsair RAM? There's no difference.

Skylinehead's build is the best you're going to get, it's recommended because it has all the best components, at the cheapest prices.

Why aren't you loving the PSU? It's the best in class for price/performance/reliability.

Also, why are you so intent on the Corsair RAM? There's no difference.

Skylinehead's build is the best you're going to get, it's recommended because it has all the best components, at the cheapest prices.

I donno I like things to look good too so paying a little bit more for that is fine with me :)

Advertisement