Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Secure Shed Door.

Options
  • 04-07-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

Hi.

My Shed door is a standard 20mm job with the hinges etc mounted outside and easily unscrewable :-). Unfortunetly I cannot change this and I want to build an internal door behind it as I plan to convert it too an office in the comming months.

I was thinking of building the frame from 2x4 and sheeting it in 22mm ply on both sides which would be screwed and bolted using domed bolts front to rear. Was going to fit four hinge bolts, two fire rated hinges and two mortice dead locks and a standard latch lock as well. Frame is reinforced with 3mm steel on the rear to stop it being forced.

Has anyone built anything like this and offer any advice as to perhaps a better solution. Should note shed is Block Built and has no Windows so door is the only entry point. Roof is tiled and has Chicken Wire, 22mm ply and 12mm plasterboard internal covering :-)

Any advise as to if this would offer some decent protection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Why go to all that trouble?
    Why not take out the existing door and frame and replace with a steel door and frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭peter_dublin

Hi.

Cost is the main reason. The door is a non standard size and would have to be a custom build. I could do this with timber but have no equipment for such metal work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

I put in a set of double security doors on my workshop. Steel framed, steel insulated doors. three locks . two internal bolts. security pins from door running into frame so hinges cant just be cut. chains fitted to stop swinging back too far primed painted and fitted for e600. permanent job. add up your figures including your time and the fact you will be replacing in a few years and you may reconsider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Gary Busey

hinge bolts can be bought for extra security. if they unscrew the hinges the bolts will stop the door being removed. Also you can change the hinge screws with round head bolts and nuts on the inside.

The first hinge bolts are a security feature foor made for this reason. the second are just bolts......google hinge bolts

you can also screw a steel sheet to the front and ply to the back to add extra security. Add deadblots too if your budget allows

Advertisement