Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bastion

Options
  • 04-07-2012 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭

I'm assuming that everyone has already played this to death but I only got around to running through it in the past week - WOW! What a fantastic game! Definitely one of my favourite gaming experiences ever, I found it quite challenging in places, but the standout memories for me are those of the stunning art direction, the haunting music and the genius use of the narrator.

I've so many unplayed games that once I've finished something, I feel the acute need to set it aside and get stuck into another game (have Arkham City and Deus Ex: Human Revolution both begging to be started) but despite that, I've already begun my New Game + in Bastion, I just don't want the experience to end.

Nothing more to say really, just wanted to make a note of what I took out of the game - if only every one could be crafted in a similar way!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

The narrator reminded me of Shephard Book.

Quite a fun little game, very sad at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

F*cking brilliant game, one of the best in recent years. And holy balls, that soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Thread has reminded me that I have this on my xbox from when it was onsale last year :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Still regularly listen to the soundtrack. Fantastic game and well worth a second playthrough to have plenty of fun playing around with all the verious weapons and upgrades.

Up there with Shadow Complex and Braid as the top 3 arcade games available IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Worth checking out Terranigma on the SNES if you enjoyed Bastion - it takes a lot of it's gameplay and story beats from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I tried the demo, enjoyed it, not got around to buyin it yet.
    Can anyone tell me how long it averages out ? 10 hours ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I tried the demo, enjoyed it, not got around to buyin it yet.
    Can anyone tell me how long it averages out ? 10 hours ?

I think I finished it in about 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I took my time on my first game - about 8 hours or so for me, but replayed a load of the challenge levels to 'complete' them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I'd say a good 6-10 hours if you take your time progressing through it.

It actually took me a while to really warm to Bastion. I love the narration and music, but there was something about the gameplay that didn't sit right until the arsenal expanded massively in the second half of the game, and the weapons were upgraded. Then I thoroughly enjoyed the pace and style of the combat system.

I didn't adore the game as much as others, but it's definitely a curio that's worth anyone's time. It - and this is always a compliment - is pleasantly unique and a distinctive interpretation of well worn mechanics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Sorry to bump an old thread (didn't know if it was better to stick with this or start a new one).

I've been playing Bastion for a few hours and I was wondering, is it worthwhile trying to finish all the Who Knows Where areas first time around or is it easier on New Game+ ?

I definitely want to do them as it seems there's a decent amount of story tied up in them, but if I'm making life difficult for myself by taking them on too early I'll just try them later (don't want to google as I don't want to wreck the story for myself :))

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

calex71 wrote: »
    Thread has reminded me that I have this on my xbox from when it was onsale last year :o
    Same. I couldn't remember when it was the deal of the week. Just looked it up. January 2012.

Ready the shotguns as I dig up this old Zombie thead :pac:

Supergiant have announced this is getting a port to Xbox One http://www.supergiantgames.com/blog/bastion-coming-soon-to-xbox-one/

Will be free for about 3 weeks if you already own the 360 version, which surprised me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Great game. Had tight and fun controls, choices to play differently with weapons changing how you played quite a lot, a great soundtrack and a short but well crafted story.

Highly recommend it.

Advertisement