Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from the ULSU Facebook page

Options
  • 04-07-2012 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

As some of you may have seen, there's a photo (meme) on facebook of ULSU making light of the fact that current welfare officer was banned from the ULSU facebook page only a few months ago.

Some guy posted asking why he was banned in the first page. He asked the reason and I said "Same reason he was banned from the ULSU Ents page and the Spin Southwest Page". Guy commented back again saying that that didnt really answer his question (yes, ok, I was being a bit vague I guess) so I commented "Abusive language, aggressive commenting, general trolling, take your pick really".

Both my comments were deleted and I was banned from the site last night. Now, maybe I'm wrong, but I think that was pretty unfair. I mean, I saw Coddles comments with my own eyes, I know they were abusive and aggressive, so it's not like I was lying. And it's not like I was being aggressive or using explicit language... So why was I banned from the facebook page of my own Students' Union?? Perhaps Boards users can enlighten me.

Banned 2.jpg

Banned 3.jpg

Banned.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

The current ULSU hates students that ask question. All they what is sheeply who follow into their clique ideas. If you dont fit them then you out.

OP you should have been around a couple of months ago.

Ah good times

Is that the whole story on why your banned because somebody must be mad with internet power.
    If your reading this we're here to help you most of us have been mad with power in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

and so it begins!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

I'd be very interested to see the original comments he made that got him banned.

I don't think I'd have voted for him I he had put on his manifesto that he would operate behind a shroud of deceit and underneath a cloud of lies.

He often posts here so I hope he will have the decency as a human being and as a sabbat to address this concern; still early in his term, I'd hate for this to boil and fester and result in him becoming a figure of hate as happened with previous welfare officers.

it's a party

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

just when i was getting bored

popcorn.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

This is tragic...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

OP, you're asking boards users to tell you why you were banned from a Facebook page? :rolleyes:

You may have better luck asking:
    sueducation@ul.ie
    suwelfare@ul.ie
    supresident@ul.ie

Derek, please come back, at least the "He's a FFer" threads were fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Email Cathal and ask him or go to his office.

Kelly banned him and a few others around the time of the EGM so why not ask her as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AndrewFla

I emailed Adam who actually pretty much refused to deal with me so I facebook messaged the Ents page and KQ got back to me... He said he couldnt see me on the block list so I must have been mistaken... But I wasn't mistaken. I couldn't post to the page, was definity blocked.

Dunno if it was KQ or Adam or what, but someone put me back on. Reposted me comments and they wenrnt taken down. Meh. Still left a bad taste in my mouth. Jokers.

lkionm wrote: »
    Kelly banned him and a few others around the time of the EGM so why not ask her as well?

Doubt it was her, the new team have taken over

• Advertisement

She went on a rampage of deleting any body who was on Paddys side around then. I had a fake account as well and that wasnt deleted off their page.

I got deleted and blocked from the ulsu and the radio page, the radio one was without a reason for sure. Kelly was the only logical explanation.
    The ENTS page blocks people if they curse, around the time they posted the rag week lineup there was a lot of trouble on that page about it.

I checked the ulsu page and your comments are there meaning you were never blocked and you got a reply from the general manager.

You were probably reported for spam and your comments could have been flagged for investigation. Facebook might not have allowed you access the page/thread if that was the case.

Knowing the 3 lads myself, I am pretty sure not one of them would be have been so offended by your comments that the need to block you would have arose. It could have been KQ as he banned me from the ENTS page before for petty stuff, Cathal had a status on his facebook page about spin last week so why should he care?
    Annoying SPIN was harmless, they tried to prove cats were smarter than dogs by citing the daily mail as a credible source.

Just laugh at it and let it go, Is it not better that we elected someone that critisised people in the union last year than having Kelly for another year?

Either way, its a joke. Inappropriate joke, but it wouldnt be a joke if it was appropriate.

Would you prefer a meme saying 'lost in the first round, won in the second thanks to (the other guy) stroking a dog in his picture'

I got deleted and blocked from the ulsu and the radio page, the radio one was without a reason for sure.

Hmm, so did Cathal.
    It could have been KQ as he banned me from the ENTS page before for petty stuff

Funny, so did Cathal...
    Cathal had a status on his facebook page about spin last week so why should he care? Annoying SPIN was harmless, they tried to prove cats were smarter than dogs by citing the daily mail as a credible source.

Jeez, you sure seem to know a lot about Cathals facebook statuses... And what the Spin thing was about... And are comfortable expressing views on his behalf...

A more suspicious man would come out and ask you just how many fake accounts you have. Or, since you know so much about him, how many fake accounts does Cathal have?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I have taken a very passing interest in SU affairs since starting in UL, I get most of anything from this forum, why does it always seem so petty and juvenile?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I have taken a very passing interest in SU affairs since starting in UL, I get most of anything from this forum, why does it always seem so petty and juvenile?

Because it's student politics?

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Because it's student politics?

FYP

AndrewFla wrote: »
    Hmm, so did Cathal.

Funny, so did Cathal...

Jeez, you sure seem to know a lot about Cathals facebook statuses... And what the Spin thing was about... And are comfortable expressing views on his behalf...

A more suspicious man would come out and ask you just how many fake accounts you have. Or, since you know so much about him, how many fake accounts does Cathal have?

Probably because I'm friends with him on facebook, as im sure are other users of boards.

I'm not expressing any views of any other person apart from myself. My view is that your just being petty and blowing a joke out of proportion. He got banned because he said something someone didnt like and now he works there? So what. Whats your problem?
    At least he wasnt singing their praises, but he was in fact critising them. So that seems to me like he can spot a problem and he wants it fixed.

As for the ENTS, they had a **** line up for rag week. Maybe he will be able to get better bands knowing what a failure last year was, unless Bressie is your thing.

Do you get offended when you see Paddy in a taxi or sniffing vicks or shifting girls as well?

My view is that your just being petty and blowing a joke out of proportion.

And you're entitled to your opinion, but im entitled to mine. And i dont think the 'joke' was particularly funny. The way i see it, he was out of line on the ents and ulsu pages and WAY out of line on the spin page. But instead of realising this, realising hes now a student representative who cant be going making a fool of himself, he creates a meme APPLAUDING himself on being a troll and getting away with it. The whole thing just screams "look lads, look what a bloody eejit i was before! And you elected me?! Hahahaha, jokes on you!!" - its silly, its unprofessional, and its downright offensive to the student population who did vote for him.
    At least he wasnt singing their praises, but he was in fact critising them.

Bull. Criticism, in my opinion, has to be constructive. Trolling isnt constructive. I sincerely doubt he thought "i don't like the way spin/ulsu/ents is structured. Perchance i could politely impart some constructive criticsm upon them."
    As for the ENTS, they had a **** line up for rag week. Maybe he will be able to get better bands knowing what a failure last year was, unless Bressie is your thing.

I didnt particularly like the line up either, but i dont think cathal had the right to go on to the page cursing and blinding and making a holy show of himself. Rather than actually giving a dam about charity week, i think he just took the opportunity for a good long troll, as did others. Pity i didnt take a screenshot really, but anyone who saw the comments could clearly see that they were way out of line.
    Do you get offended when you see Paddy in a taxi?

I do actually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

I think you make a fair point. There seems to be no control over who ever feels like banning people from the the ulsu facebook pages. It's actually incredibly ironic that you'd have these muppets campaigning for free speech in the past and then banning people at their own discretion on their facebook pages, really shows how hypocritical, narrow sighted and immature they are.

There is no established procedure for contesting what the ULSU do on Facebook. What did cathal get banned for anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

give it a rest lads, it's July, no one gives a fuck.
    Go out and enjoy the sun Andrew. Or read a book. Or get a girlfriend.

cambridge wrote: »
    It's actually incredibly ironic that you'd have these muppets campaigning for free speech in the past and then banning people at their own discretion on their facebook pages.

I think perhaps transparency is the word you're looking for :p the term was thrown around so much in the last election its lost all meaning!
    cambridge wrote: »
    What did cathal get banned for anyway?

I cant quite remember the order they came in, but he was banned from the ents page for explicit language and being aggressive and general trolling about the rag week line up, he was banned from the ulsu page for the same conduct but in and around a differnet time period i think. He was banned from the spin page before this i think? I saw a screenshot of some of his comments (must get in contact with the person who has that actually) so i dunno when that was but i know the comments were pretty awful.

Actually, he may also be banned from the LIT memes page aswell. I totally forgot about that. He was on the LIT memes page being really abusive about people from LIT. it was well after the election which is why i was so shocked, i thought he'd calm down when he became a public rep. Im gonna go look for the comments now, they might still be there!

• Advertisement

insanity50 wrote: »
    give it a rest lads, it's July, no one gives a fuck.

I give a f***.

im a UL student who gives a f***! shock, horror!
    Go out and enjoy the sun Andrew. Or read a book. Or get a girlfriend.

it's raining where i am. Been reading last three hours, said id check boards. I have a girlfriend, but thanks for the offer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

Andrew can you elaborate on what you mean when you say ''he pretty much refused to deal with me''

Be more specific please.

The lads seem like they're doing a good job. Keeping the head down, staying off boards not engaging with trolls and people stirring the pot. They're certainly an improvement on last year's crowd. Kelly was a fucking menace to the SU, and only for the good grace of Deirdre Wilson's Midas Touch and the hard graft of Cathal during election week we could have been stuck with that Witch for another year.

Life's too short for stirring the pot for no reason Andrew. Give it a rest and stop picking holes where they they don't exist.

The lads seem like they're doing a good job. Keeping the head down.

I didnt elect Cathal to keep his head down, I elected him to represent my views. Ignoring students and valid student queries is a good thing now is it? If they were any good at all they wold have come on here and addressed the situation like professionals Instead they're hiding away ignoring the problems and getting paid to do so.
    Kelly was a fucking menace to the SU

who cares? Stop trying to deflect this back om the old team. Whats done is done, im talking about Cathal ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

yRVPd.png

Give it a rest.

Stop being a gowl about it. Leave him be if he wants to go have fun and annoy people.

Its not affecting his job. He dosent have to be doing his job 24/7, just because he was elected dosent mean you own him.

Give it a rest.

Stop being a gowl about it. Leave him be if he wants to go have fun and annoy people.

Its not affecting his job. He dosent have to be doing his job 24/7, just because he was elected dosent mean you own him.

You obviously have no idea what 'public rep' means.

Advertisement