Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining the army

Options
  • 04-07-2012 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I was just wondering after the recent defence forces recruitment and the massive interest in it, are many people thinking of joining the british army ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jimbob92345

feeney92 wrote: »
    I would say a lot of lads are considering. its very very difficult to get into the DF nowadays and if people really want a military career they join the second closest army to home. The Irish have a strong history of being in other armies. but with the BA now cutting down their numbers for the plan they implimented its going to be even harder to get into the BA aswell. Are you considering it OP?

Yeah I'm in the middle of the defence forces recruitment. I did the psychometric exam a few days ago but my initial reaction to it is that I didn't do well so I have just been exploring my options. I have done some research on the British army and it does interest me so if the defence forces doesn't work out I will be trying the british army. I heard that so I'm just hoping that a lot of the number cutting down might be the older soldiers taking early retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 34 groundshaker

Well if ya join you should join an Irish regiment ie The Irish Guards or the RIR. Although by all accounts the RIR are nearlyovermanned, or so I've heard anyway. Irish Guards will be continuing to recruit despite troop cuts in other areas of the BA

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jimbob92345

Oh I know ya but just want to have some kind of a plan just in case. The results for the psychometric exam are out the 20th of this month with a medical and interview to follow ! . So I have plenty of time to do some research on what unit . Just on what I have research the RIR looks appealing ! Getting into it would be a different story !

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 34 groundshaker

Ya Both The Irish Guards and the RIR will both be around, at least for the next 10 years anyway. RIR are to move out of 16 air assualt brigade, and in 2013, 1 IG to move out of London and district, so that should be them off cermonial duties for a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I ended up joining the BA after two unsuccessful attempts to join the DF. I met a lot of other irish lads during the recruitment process so there is a lot of irish lads joining up at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Oh I know ya but just want to have some kind of a plan just in case. The results for the psychometric exam are out the 20th of this month with a medical and interview to follow ! . So I have plenty of time to do some research on what unit . Just on what I have research the RIR looks appealing ! Getting into it would be a different story !

Im going to apply for Sandhurst when Im done college, RIR will be my first choice and Irish Gaurds second (if there still around then). I know with the BA at the moment if you apply soon and do all of your tests and they want you there is a pre-enlistment course on in september.

One thing, obviously you are keen to serve in an Irish unit, but remember that those are both single Bn regiments. When the cuts happen again the musical chairs will be pulled out from units and I would suspect that the Royal Irish will be on the tip of the list. SF would welcome it's disbandment and don't take their seats and the unionists will protest, however won't have the numbers to make a difference unless there's a hung parliament in the UK. The Irish Guards Officers have tended to come from from influential public schools and the regiment might have the "pull" it needs In the right circles to survive indeed the brigade of guards will close ranks and try stave off cuts together I'd imagine.

Also, politics, not,how well a regiment can recruit seems to be driving the latest round of defence cuts as it normally does.

The other thing to remember is that a single bn regiment can only offer so many commissions a year - you'll either need them to sponsor you by going on familiarisation visits or do really well at sandhurst.

Another thing you might consider is that your career options may be a tad more limited. The madness that was the arms plot is now over and most units will be getting fixed roles - rapid or adaptable, ie air assault/commando/entry forces and then line light mechanised and armoured infantry. With a super regiment there should in theory be the option to be posted backwards and forward between it's battalions and experience multiple roles - all good stuff if your intent on trying to make it a lifelong career. With a single bn regiment that might be a bit more difficult.

I'd also say the guards would throw their toys out of their pram or the silver tea tray out of the window in their case if they heard you had them second choice. Just my 2 cents from what I gathered when I had a look at the UK selection process -.didn't follow it up though. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

neilled wrote: »
    I'd also say the guards would throw their toys out of their pram or the silver tea tray out of the window I their case if they heard you had them second. Just my 2 centsfrom what I gathered when I had a look at the UK selection process -.didn't follow it up though. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

All good points from Neilled, especially the one about the Guards. The Coldstreamer's motto is 'Nulli Secundus' - 'Second to none' - and you'd better believe it as far as the Household/Guards Division are concerned.

Let's just say that you'll need some serious funding to back up a commission in any Guards' regiment, even in these days of equality. A seven-figure bank balance has a quality all of its own, you'll find.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I'm just finished college and I'm considering joining the royal marines. I always have been split between a career in policing or some type of military service. I'm not sure if my motivations for joining would be correct but I was thinking(big assumption that I would pass the prmc course)about joining the RM's for the requisite four years and then after that possibly the psni or gardai when they are back recruiting. This post sound very walter mitty-ish.:o

I'm confused as to your citizenship. Where do you live that you have the choice of joining either AGS OR PSNI?

What nationality are you?

tac

Im going to apply for Sandhurst when Im done college, RIR will be my first choice and Irish Gaurds second (if there still around then). I know with the BA at the moment if you apply soon and do all of your tests and they want you there is a pre-enlistment course on in september.

Ah, you'll be needing to do some serious repair work on your written English before attempting to join any part of the BA, let alone any part of the Guards' Division.

We DO expect our officers to be able to communicate using a high standard of written English, regardless what you may have been told elsewhere.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

tac foley wrote: »
    I'm confused as to your citizenship. Where do you live that you have the choice of joining either AGS OR PSNI?

What nationality are you?

tac

I'm from the Republic of Ireland. Unless I am after having a Homer moment for the past year or two(Which is highly possible;)) I was under the impression that I would be eligible to apply for the PSNI.

Sorry for the thread hijack btw.

Thanks for that. Just that I never met a police officer from south of the border in all my time there.

Here to learn, boys, me.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Remmy wrote: »
    I'm from the Republic of Ireland. Unless I am after having a Homer moment for the past year or two(Which is highly possible;)) I was under the impression that I would be eligible to apply for the PSNI.

Sorry for the thread hijack btw.

EU citizens who meet the eligibility criteria may apply

Advertisement