Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

What do ye sleep in nowadays

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious


    Depends where you are I guess. Whilst a member of the RDF, the many GoH's took us around the country. As recently as 2009 anyway, the Brugha had what you showed whilst in Renmore, it was like a B+B.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter


    In the RDF when bed blocks were 'required' I used to make an award winning one at the start of the fortnight and then sleep in a sleeping bag with the bed block stored under the bed. It'd come back out for inspections then.

    Couldn't me making one of them every morning!!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam


    That pic brings back memories. It was like the Krypton factor in my platoon watching some guys trying to get the lines in the blankets showing in the right way in the bedblock.:)


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭source


    Trotter wrote: »
    In the RDF when bed blocks were 'required' I used to make an award winning one at the start of the fortnight and then sleep in a sleeping bag with the bed block stored under the bed. It'd come back out for inspections then.

    Couldn't me making one of them every morning!!!

    The only way of doing it.

    It was all sleeping bags for us, we used to stay in a tent village in Gormanston, the whole regiment under canvass, not a bed block in sight.


  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile


    enfield wrote: »
    I have been told ye have duvets now, is that true? In my day we had these;
    http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=Image1-1.jpg

    There's even heating in the billets now, and hot water in the showers, if you can believe it.

    And I still, even, now, bring the sleeping bag just in case. Some habits are hard to break!


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir


    enfield wrote: »
    I have been told ye have duvets now, is that true? In my day we had these;
    http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=Image1-1.jpg


    Jesus thats a badly made bedblock!!!

    Fond memories of the itchy wool blanket!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man


    ya now have to make a bed block with duvet and sheets, they have hot showers now!!! my god it was hit and miss when i was i9n recruits in kickham barracks back bout 7 years ago


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell


    benwavner wrote: »
    Jesus thats a badly made bedblock!!!

    Fond memories of the itchy wool blanket!

    thats for sure. Guaranteed to have the room absolutely wrecked:D:D


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Zain Hundreds Bolt


    benwavner wrote: »
    Jesus thats a badly made bedblock!!!

    Fond memories of the itchy wool blanket!

    And stiff as a plank, starched white sheets.. For some perverse reason I used to love those!.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops


    Trotter wrote: »
    In the RDF when bed blocks were 'required' I used to make an award winning one at the start of the fortnight and then sleep in a sleeping bag with the bed block stored under the bed. It'd come back out for inspections then.

    Couldn't me making one of them every morning!!!

    When I read the title here I was planning on telling a story of a lad I served with who made a bed block at the start of the camp and brought his own sleeping bag. Either we served together or there was more than one bright spark in the RDF in those days.
    source wrote: »
    The only way of doing it.

    It was all sleeping bags for us, we used to stay in a tent village in Gormanston, the whole regiment under canvass, not a bed block in sight.

    And then there was the year the tents blew away. I was on fire duty that night. The entire regiment in the Cock Tavern, and me trying to hold down 30 tents on me own. I long for those days.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80


    benwavner wrote: »
    Jesus thats a badly made bedblock!!!!

    For sure. Out the window with that one! :-)


  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile


    syklops wrote: »
    When I read the title here I was planning on telling a story of a lad I served with who made a bed block at the start of the camp and brought his own sleeping bag. Either we served together or there was more than one bright spark in the RDF in those days.

    Ok - so you mean to tell us that you were one of the very few who *didn't* do this in the old FCÁ, then ;-)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter


    syklops wrote: »
    When I read the title here I was planning on telling a story of a lad I served with who made a bed block at the start of the camp and brought his own sleeping bag. Either we served together or there was more than one bright spark in the RDF in those days.

    You made a bed block more than once!?! Craziness! :D


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops


    Maoltuile wrote: »
    Ok - so you mean to tell us that you were one of the very few who *didn't* do this in the old FCÁ, then ;-)

    I was fortunate. Renmore had duvets, Gormanston was sleeping bags. Sarsfields was blankets but I was usually billetted on my own so no inspections. In my life I made about 2 bed blocks, which is good because the first one took me over an hour to perfect.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman


    syklops wrote: »
    but I was usually billetted on my own so no inspections. In my life I made about 2 bed blocks, which is good because the first one took me over an hour to perfect.

    Were you a danger to yourself and others or just special :p

    Yeah in fairness the majority of us learnt fairly quickly to use sleeping bags instead of messing up your bed block. I havn't seen a bed block since 2005.

    Are they still done anywhere?


  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone


    BigDuffman wrote: »
    Are they still done anywhere?

    Grey blankets still used in Tralee


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage


    enfield wrote: »
    I have been told ye have duvets now, is that true? In my day we had these;
    http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=Image1-1.jpg


    Some bollocking handed out if that's the best you could do. Only fit to fly through the nearest window:D Had reason to be in Lahinch Camp there last year with a bunch of Civil Defence and the "Greys" were issued so I threw one together like just to show the lads... mightily impressed they were until they tryed it themselves.


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran


    Trotter wrote: »
    In the RDF when bed blocks were 'required' I used to make an award winning one at the start of the fortnight and then sleep in a sleeping bag with the bed block stored under the bed. It'd come back out for inspections then.

    Couldn't me making one of them every morning!!!

    Did something similar in Basic. Make the bed once a week, (linen change on Sundays was mandatory) and just sleep on top of it for every night bar Saturday. The touch-up took only a minute, the full time to make it from scratch was just not available in the mornings.


Advertisement