Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aslan on RTE Radio.. disgrace

Options
  • 04-07-2012 4:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

I have just had to listen through Larry Gogan tell me how great Aslan are. A band who I know for a FACT smoke heroin, and are an absolute disgrace to Irish society.

They are freely played through radio paid for by Irish licence payers. ( I doubt any of them pay a licence) yet they are promoted and celebrated by RTE

Aslan are nothing but a a band who had a hit or two in the 90s, yet our national broadcaster promotes them despite their obvious relationship with drugs.

It's a disgrace that Irish Bands of good breeding and ilk loose air time to these has been junkies.

I do not think I have been more angry than when driving home this evening hearing them pumped through my car stereo promoted by Larry Gogan this evening..

RTE radio want to slap itself around the chops. Not alone did they protect Gerry Ryan's coke habbit, which resulted in his death, but also promote bands strung out on heroin..

All I can say if, FU RTE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Most people aren't overly concerned with people's breeding when it comes to music.
    You are a rare exception.

Of all the things that piss me off about RTE, this would not be one of them. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

lol, lets ban all bands who do drugs from the airwaves

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭MrGeneric

You didn't have to listen through anything though, did you? Did it not occur to you that you could simply change the radio station, or were you already too incapacitated at that stage by your impotent anger as you sat in your car, your blood boiling, your face turning a troubling shade of red, in stark contrast to your white-knuckled death-grip on the steering wheel? Implicit condoned drug usage, ON MY RTE? IN MY CAR?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

Most people aren't overly concerned with people's breeding when it comes to music.
    You are a rare exception.

Of all the things that piss me off about RTE, this would not be one of them. :P

I don't really care about ilk, nature, class, or creed, but when such a PC organisation promotes a band who do what they do, I find it hypocritical. I don't want my kids watching RTE when they play the Angeles at 6 and Alsan on radio. Typical Irish hypocrites

MrGeneric wrote: »
    You didn't have to listen through anything though, did you? Did it not occur to you that you could simply change the radio station, or were you already too incapacitated at that stage by your impotent anger as you sat in your car, your blood boiling, your face turning a troubling shade of red, in stark contrast to your white-knuckled death-grip on the steering wheel? Implicit condoned drug usage, ON MY RTE? IN MY CAR?

When I knew I was paying for it, yes.. Your point? You like having junkies being forced upon you through a service you pay for? If I pay for it, I don't want people who I wouldn't allow near my house be allowed an outlet.

People like Aslan don't deserve an outlet, let alone oxygen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,155 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If we banned every singer, band, artist, actor, presenter, person who had bad habits, done something illegal or morally questionable from the airwaves, we'd be left listening to and watching Dana all day! (Obviously not if you exclude torturing small animals).

I'd bet you'd have no problem with RTE playing "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" by The Beatles? They did more drugs than all of the characters of every Irvine Welsh novel combined!

My point, which you seem to have missed is that you weren't forced in any sense of the word to continue listening to it.
    dchris wrote: »
    People like Aslan don't deserve an outlet, let alone oxygen

That's a disturbing sentiment. Is your reasoning that they are addicted to drugs, therefore they deserve to die?

The only reason RTE play Aslan is because they are connected. They would shun others for the same reason without the same connection. Isn't it a huge irony that an organisation that plays the Angelus also plays Aslan? hypocrite much ?

Isn't it a huge irony that an organisation that plays the Angelus also plays Aslan? hypocrite much ?

No.

And you never answered the question about The Beatles. Would you jave a problem wit The Beatles?

Who would you NOT have a problem with RTE playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

musicians taking drugs, I don't believe it

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    No.

And you never answered the question about The Beatles. Would you jave a problem wit The Beatles?

Who would you NOT have a problem with RTE playing?

I don't see why I would have a problem with the beatles. They arent publicly known for smoking heroin. Unlike Alsan.. Are they? Oh maybe we should highlight for our kids how big and successful you can get being a junkie... Great for the kids

Yes the Beatles were known for taking drugs. Aslan are nothing new or unusual bands have done it before Aslan and they will do it long into the future..

I don't see why I would have a problem with the beatles. They arent publicly known for smoking heroin. Unlike Alsan.. Are they? Oh maybe we should highlight for our kids how big and successful you can get being a junkie... Great for the kids

Yes, The Beatles are publically known for doing all sorts of drugs. There was even the suggestion that Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is a direct reference to LSD!

BTW, If you knew anything about Aslan you'd know it was drugs that made them UNsuccessful!

So, you should want MORE Aslan!! :)

Yes, The Beatles are publically known for doing all sorts of drugs. There was even the suggestion that Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is a direct reference to LSD!

BTW, If you knew anything about Aslan you'd know it was drugs that made them UNsuccessful!

The beatles weren't famous at the time for drugs. that is stupid. if drugs and beatles were in the same sentence back in the 60's they's be ruined. tut tut

We all live in a yellow submarine .... :D

lets just say the lads enjoyed a good weekend before writing that little number

The beatles weren't famous at the time for drugs. that is stupid. if drugs and beatles were in the same sentence back in the 60's they's be ruined. tut tut

Sadly, you are misinformed! And i'm guessing that's not the first time someone has said that to you.

The Beatles were very very open about their drug use back in the 60s.

In fact, John Lennon became addicted to Heroin in 1968.

Sadly, you are misinformed! And i'm guessing that's not the first time someone has said that to you.

The Beatles were very very open about their drug use back in the 60s.

In fact, John Lennon became addicted to Heroin in 1968.

Sadly not for the first time this evening you have gone off topic, been obtuse Get a grip on yourself. Comparing beatles with Aslan is like comparing Pink Floyd and the Corrs. You are clearly lacking in many ways.

Well done for John Lennon getting addicted to Heroin in 1968, sure we should pipe him through the public airways and let him influence our kids..

I am delighted you are happy with heroin addicts being pumped through national media for all to listen to, you clearly don't have kids as you think it be "cool " for your kids to have them as role models... God help us all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

MacCartney's admission that he had tried LSD? Lennon's and Harrison's busts? All happened in the 60's, making front page news.

Seriously? I'd love to take you for a long walk off a short pier

Sadly not for the first time this evening you have gone off topic, been obtuse Get a grip on yourself. Comparing beatles with Aslan is like comparing Pink Floyd and the Corrs.

Correct, sure The Beatles did a HELL of a lot more drugs than Aslan. Thanks for pointing out my error!
    Well done for John Lennon getting addicted to Heroin in 1968, sure we should pipe him through the public airways and let him influence our kids..

I am delighted you are happy with heroin addicts being pumped through national media for all to listen to, you clearly don't have kids as you think it be "cool " for your kids to have them as role models... God help us all

Ring Joe Duffy tomorrow and tell him that RTE shoulnd't be playing The Beatles!

• Advertisement

pauldla wrote: »
    MacCartney's admission that he had tried LSD? Lennon's and Harrison's busts? All happened in the 60's, making front page news.

When did McCartneys admission happen? Was it know at the time? ?? Hence, does it make a difference?

I am shocked so many of you don't mind your kinds havign junkies as idols

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I was aware of Christy Dignam having a heroin problem at one point in his life, but I was under the impression that he had cleaned himself up in recent years no?

I was aware of Christy Dignam having a heroin problem at one point in his life, but I was under the impression that he had cleaned himself up in recent years no?

Nope

Correct, sure The Beatles did a HELL of a lot more drugs than Aslan. Thanks for pointing out my error!

Ring Joe Duffy tomorrow and tell him that RTE shoulnd't be playing The Beatles!

You're not relevant. Your arguments are not relative. Catch up

Yeah, he's been clean for 8 years apparently.

Nope

Christy Dignam... dchris.

Well played sir, well played.

You're not relevant. Your arguments are not relative. Catch up

Yes they are.

You are unhappy at Drug Abusers being played over the airwaves.

The Beatles were all drug abusers. Yet you think it's ok for them to be played.

You're a hypocrite!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

When did McCartneys admission happen? Was it know at the time? ?? Hence, does it make a difference?

I am shocked so many of you don't mind your kinds havign junkies as idols

http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/db1967.0619.beatles.html
    Paul McCartney was the first British pop star to publicly admit using LSD, in chatting with a reporter who had enquired about it. Paul's LSD quote appeared in Queen, a UK-based magazine at the time. The quote was also then reprinted by Life magazine in their June 16th 1967 feature, 'The New Far-Out Beatles: They're grown men now and creating extraordinary musical sounds' by Thomas Thompson.
    In both articles, Paul McCartney was quoted as saying, "After I took it (LSD), it opened my eyes. We only use one-tenth of our brain. Just think what we could accomplish if we could only tap that hidden part. It would mean a whole new world."

ITV seized the opportunity to interview Paul about this public admission. The controversy would become a springboard for discussing the responsibilities of celebrities and journalists.

Life magazine and ITV both covered it.

Does it make a difference? Does it make a difference that Aslan used drugs?

Personally I don't care if they put half of Colombia up their noses, I still don't like their music. I like the Beatles, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭laros

A band who I know for a FACT smoke heroin, and are an absolute disgrace to Irish society.

dchris.... Where are you getting your facts from....????

• Advertisement

Yes they are.

You are unhappy at Drug Abusers being played over the airwaves.

The Beatles were all drug abusers. Yet you think it's ok for them to be played.

You're a hypocrite!

Not even nearly darling. When you stop trying to compare Aslan with the Beatles, you might come back to this world

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement