Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doublechecking spelling and grammar for a tattoo as ghaeilge

Options
  • 04-07-2012 3:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

Dia daiobh, I'm hoping to get a short phrase as gaeilge tattooed on my side and I thought I'd come here and make sure my grammar is correct. I very rarely get chance to speak irish anymore so my grammar is very rusty. I havent finalised the wording yet but I want it to read as...

Baibìn, I am always your dear OR Baibìn Always her dear.

So I think the translation is Baibìn, tàim i gcònaì do stòr NÒ Baibìn i gcònaì a stòr

I'd really appreciate it if you could pick this apart and make sure I've all my urùs and the fadas' in the right places. Go raibh mìle maith agaibh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Depends how accurate you want to be. When addressing someone, the convention is to use the locative case - Pádraig becomes "A Phádraig", Séamas becomes "A Shéamais", Máire becomes "A Mháire" and so on. So if you are going to stick to that, you'd use "A Bhaibín".

I think "stór" is more commonly used in that form as well - "a stór" rather than "mo stór", i.e. as a form of address. The latter isn't wrong as such, just not a format I've encountered very often.

One solution around all that could be to change the wording a little, so that it's almost like a slogan, like this: "Baibín - mo rún go deo".

Rún means loved one/beloved, go deo is a slightly more poetic way to say forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Who is Baibín exactly? Context is everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

My nan.. she was always calling me and my sis a stor agus a ghra.. She had some different focail for my brother :)

Thanks for the help mrchips. I might change i gconai to go deo, but as far as I know rùn means secret and I'd prefer if there was no confusion surrounding the translation.. I'd also like to stick with stòr or grà for sentimental reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Rún won't be confused for secret. Make sure you have the síneadh fada (accent) correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

mr chips wrote: »
    Depends how accurate you want to be. When addressing someone, the convention is to use the locative case - Pádraig becomes "A Phádraig", Séamas becomes "A Shéamais", Máire becomes "A Mháire" and so on. So if you are going to stick to that, you'd use "A Bhaibín".

I think "stór" is more commonly used in that form as well - "a stór" rather than "mo stór", i.e. as a form of address. The latter isn't wrong as such, just not a format I've encountered very often.

One solution around all that could be to change the wording a little, so that it's almost like a slogan, like this: "Baibín - mo rún go deo".

Rún means loved one/beloved, go deo is a slightly more poetic way to say forever.
    You can sy things like "go deo" "go deo na ndeor" "go brách" go brách ná breithe (IIRC)" for forever (and ever).

I gcónaí would mean "always" "constantly".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Gumbi wrote: »
    You can sy things like "go deo" "go deo na ndeor" "go brách" go brách ná breithe (IIRC)" for forever (and ever).

I gcónaí would mean "always" "constantly".

I know that, Always was the wording I wanted but willing to consider go deo.

Thanks for all the advice lads. I really do want it to read a ghrà nò a stor for my own reasons but thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

lestat21 wrote: »
    make sure I've all my urùs and the fadas' in the right places. Go raibh mìle maith agaibh

If she is Scottish then "mo ghràdh" or "mo stòr" is fine but if she's Irish then "mo ghrá" or "mo stór" is our slightly different way of writing it.

Advertisement