Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Olympics Solo Trip - Would it be enjoyable?

Options
  • 04-07-2012 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I took a quick look at flights and surprising Dublin to Stansted isn't that expensive during parts the Olympics, could find a return for 60 or 70 euro so I'm seriously considering a quick 2 night trip to experience all the hype and buzz of the games.
    I lived in Vancouver during the last winter Olympics and it was possibly the best month of my life, such a bit of banter and partying. Would be cool to experience the summer Olympics too.

I've traveled solo loads of times before and its easy to meet other solo travelers in hostels, socialize and end up having a great time. But my concerns are hostels won't have the usual vibe during the Olympics and it'll very much just be full of groups, no backpackers and just plain sh*t. What do people think??

I would love someone else's opinion? Are there any other boardies considering solo trips to the Olympics? Am I mental to even consider this hah

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

lc180 wrote: »
    Hi,

So I took a quick look at flights and surprising Dublin to Stansted isn't that expensive during parts the Olympics, could find a return for 60 or 70 euro so I'm seriously considering a quick 2 night trip to experience all the hype and buzz of the games.
    I lived in Vancouver during the last winter Olympics and it was possibly the best month of my life, such a bit of banter and partying. Would be cool to experience the summer Olympics too.

I've traveled solo loads of times before and its easy to meet other solo travelers in hostels, socialize and end up having a great time. But my concerns are hostels won't have the usual vibe during the Olympics and it'll very much just be full of groups, no backpackers and just plain sh*t. What do people think??

I would love someone else's opinion? Are there any other boardies considering solo trips to the Olympics? Am I mental to even consider this hah

It wasn't the Olympics, but I flew solo to Daegu, South Korea last August for the World Athletics Championships. I stayed in a hostel there. Wasn't a big hostel but everyone (bar about 3-4) staying there were over for the athletics. All of us were fanatics, from various countries (USA, Australia, France, Belgium, Germany, Estonia, Netherlands) and we had some fair oul craic that's for sure.

I wouldn't worry about banter. Hostels will always have banter, and I don't see it being any different during the Olympics. The main concern is the price of accomodation (even hostels) during the Olympics and the availability. I'm heading over but am staying with friends the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭lc180

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    It wasn't the Olympics, but I flew solo to Daegu, South Korea last August for the World Athletics Championships. I stayed in a hostel there. Wasn't a big hostel but everyone (bar about 3-4) staying there were over for the athletics. All of us were fanatics, from various countries (USA, Australia, France, Belgium, Germany, Estonia, Netherlands) and we had some fair oul craic that's for sure.

I wouldn't worry about banter. Hostels will always have banter, and I don't see it being any different during the Olympics. The main concern is the price of accomodation (even hostels) during the Olympics and the availability. I'm heading over but am staying with friends the whole time.

Cheers for the reply. Surprisingly I was also able to find some available hostels in Camden, there about 10-15 pound more expensive per night than usual but that's expected during the Olympics.
    I've got a couple friends there too but they work in hospitality so they are working 24/7 and not possible to stay with. Would have been perfect!

This might be my only chance realistically to experience the summer Olympics, I think I'd regret it if I miss it just cause I can't get anyone to join me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Cheers for the reply. Surprisingly I was also able to find some available hostels in Camden, there about 10-15 pound more expensive per night than usual but that's expected during the Olympics.
    I've got a couple friends there too but they work in hospitality so they are working 24/7 and not possible to stay with. Would have been perfect!

This might be my only chance realistically to experience the summer Olympics, I think I'd regret it if I miss it just cause I can't get anyone to join me.

There's an Irish House set up for the Olympics. Not sure where in London it is (google it) but will be a great spot to meet up with other Irish people over a pint while cheering on our Olympians on the big screen.

Don't know if I'm wise or not but feck it, Its all booked now!

Got flights with Ryanair for €48, Hostel €39 a night and dirt cheap airport transfers to/from Stansted with EasyBus. I'll be there during the finals of the main athletics events so there should be a great buzz. Might try get tickets for an event.

I see the Irish Olympic House is at The Big Chill for the games. Looks like a good location. I visited the Irish House during Vancouver 2010, considering the small amount of athletes we had it was ridiculously big compared to other countries! Great craic to be had and the best bit was if you had an Irish passport you were able to enter via the VIP entrance and skip the long queue and entry fee. Lets hope its the same set-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Don't know if I'm wise or not but feck it, Its all booked now!

Got flights with Ryanair for €48, Hostel €39 a night and dirt cheap airport transfers to/from Stansted with EasyBus. I'll be there during the finals of the main athletics events so there should be a great buzz. Might try get tickets for an event.

I see the Irish Olympic House is at The Big Chill for the games. Looks like a good location. I visited the Irish House during Vancouver 2010, considering the small amount of athletes we had it was ridiculously big compared to other countries! Great craic to be had and the best bit was if you had an Irish passport you were able to enter via the VIP entrance and skip the long queue and entry fee. Lets hope its the same set-up.

There's still plenty tickets available here http://www.tickets.london2012.com/browse

Most are more expensive categories but there's regularly tickets going back on resale from people who no longer want them, just keep an eye on the site, the availability does change daily. If you're not too picky as to what sports you want you should definitely get something.

• Advertisement

Todd Gack wrote: »
    There's still plenty tickets available here http://www.tickets.london2012.com/browse

Most are more expensive categories but there's regularly tickets going back on resale from people who no longer want them, just keep an eye on the site, the availability does change daily. If you're not too picky as to what sports you want you should definitely get something.

Yeah I've been keeping an eye on the site for the last week or so, it seems to change multiple times a day, I even saw tickets for the Athletics finals(Aug 5) on it earlier but the only tickets available were the £420 seats. Out of my budget....
    I'm very tempted to go to the Female Beach Volleyball, seems to be loads of tickets available for that :)

Advertisement