Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSL cert problem with Google

Options
  • 03-07-2012 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,942 ✭✭✭✭

HERE. The link in that post should be to Google maps but I have tried clicking on it using both FF and IE and I'm getting warnings.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

What warnings? Any screenshots?

It looks perfectly OK to me

• Registered Users Posts: 45,942 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What warnings? Any screenshots?

It looks perfectly OK to me
    First one below is from firefox and the second is from internet explorer

ScreenHunter_52_Jul_04_1220.jpg

ScreenHunter_53_Jul_04_1221.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Then your browser is choking on the SSL cert, and this isn't boards.ie related.

The cert for maps.google.ie is a wildcard cert, issue on June 6th. Possibly you have an older one manually stored.

Spear wrote: »

The cert for maps.google.ie is a wildcard cert, issue on June 6th. Possibly you have an older one manually stored.

^--- What Spear said. It's not an issue for Boards.ie to resolve I'm afraid

Danny

How do I sort this? - sorry, realise now it's nothing to do with Boards.

Bear in mind that Im not into the techy stuff :o

• Advertisement

Hey muffler,

Give the I understand the risks arrow a click, it should drop down a message where you can view the certificate. You should verify it's from Google, signed by Google and valid until June 7th 2013, issued on June 14th 2012 (which is what I get).

Once you're 100% sure it's from Google, accept it/install it.

Better yet, click Technical Information and see why the browser isn't able to verify the certificate on it's own.

Danny

Cheers Danny. I'll give that a go.

Did that Danny and this is what I got

ScreenHunter_59_Jul_04_1753.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

In the strictest sense it's a valid error, *.google.ie isn't in there. But the cert I'm offered on the link does cover *.google.ie. Where are the cert issuance dates?

In the strictest sense it's a valid error, *.google.ie isn't in there. But the cert I'm offered on the link does cover *.google.ie. Where are the cert issuance dates?
    Sorry Spear, I'm sorta lost now :o

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Sorry Spear, I'm sorta lost now :o

Go to "I understand the risks", then click View Certificate. Check the issue date

Only gives me one option - "Add Exception"

muffler wrote: »
    Only gives me one option - "Add Exception"

See here - http://oasis.hs-offenburg.de/exception.html

Click Add Exception -> Get Certificate -> View and tell us the issue date, the expiry date and the certificate authority/signer :)

2 screen shots. First is after I clicked "Add Exception" and the next is the details of the certificate. The date is fine but its back to the "google.ie" not being included on the list.

ScreenHunter_60_Jul_05_1052.jpg

ScreenHunter_61_Jul_05_1053.jpg

That's very strange because my Firefox finds the certificate is OK and has the *.google.ie bit in it. Something funny with your computer or your internet supplier there.

Anyway, you can go ahead and Add the exception because you've verified it's a real certificate, signed by the Google Internet Authority.

For completeness, here's what I see:

211810.png

Thanks Danny, I'll do that.

Its strange alright. Im using the latest version of FF - 13.0.1 whether thats relevant or not and the only anti-virus programme Im running is the MS security essentials. I'm also getting the same results as I mentioned above on IE version 9.

Strange thing is that I encounter the same problems on another PC here and it has different versions of FF and IE. I was telling you a while back on another thread how it's taking 10 seconds for MU3 to load up and that also happens on both PCs. I think thats probably all connected so its looking like Vodafone could be the culprits.

Or maybe its just a feckin Donegal thing........sheep interference ;)

Then it looks like there's a Google server giving out the wrong cert, barring some kind of DNS hijack being in place, which I doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Im on IE6 and when i goto http://maps.google.ie it goes thru fine. (Of course)

When i goto https://maps.google.ie (HTTPS) I get a cert error "The certificate does not match the domain name"

Seems to be a cert problems they have! (The cert isnt specific to google.ie)

Advertisement