Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mentioning real people in fiction

Options
  • 03-07-2012 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

If I mention a real person (or reference their work) in something I write and publish as fiction, is there some legal requirement to receive their permission?

For example, say I want a character to be a huge Isaac Asimov fan. He finds a planet full of androids and references the 3 laws of robotics. Is that okay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I haven't legally tested this myself, but as long as you credit Asimov with the three laws (and don't claim credit yourself), you should be fine. I'm sure books get referenced in other books all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Of course it's fine, as long as whatever you saying about them is not libellous. You do not need permission to write about someone, or the newspapers would be empty.

It's virtually impossible to write a story without having a name that already belongs to a real person. You don't have to try to find a unique name by rolling your face on the keyboard.

Advertisement