Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to make This

Options
  • 03-07-2012 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

This is a picture of a unit in a boat. We have a similar boat and I would like to make this unit myself.
    What type of wood would be suitable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Mahogany or teak.
    Looks like the cabinet next to it is made of a species of mahogany. On second look it could be teak, hard to tell, someone with better eyes than I

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

I would guess that it is not solid wood. I would be looking to get some sort of wood vanier. I have seen MDF with vanier on both sides. And then there is Ply wood. These are the only 2 I know. Are there more types?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

jimfinoc wrote: »
    I would guess that it is not solid wood. I would be looking to get some sort of wood vanier. I have seen MDF with vanier on both sides. And then there is Ply wood. These are the only 2 I know. Are there more types?

I did not understand, "What type of wood would be suitable?" .... You want to reproduce the existing??

I would not use MDF on a boat, just MO.
    Marine grade plywood.

Did some looking around today and found 8x4 sheets of red wood. Think this would suit. Only probmen is that it only comes 18mm thick. I think 14mm would suit better, but I don't know if it's available.
    Any opinion!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

The carcasses are veneer or melamine faced MDF or Ply with a solid wood edge (looks to me like iroko).

You couldn't make doors like those out of solid wood because they'd end up twisting and buckling in no time, also if you look at the left hand side of the corner unit the grain is going horizontal which is something you'd never do with solid timber in that situation.

If you want to exactly copy that unit then your best bet is to get some veneered ply or MDF (Medite Exterior is what i'd recommended) and a small bit of solid iroko.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Give these a call I know they do mohogany veneer marine plywood . http://www.wallerwickham.ie/csd/marine_plywood.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

The answer is you can make it out of anything you like.' Elbow' is right in that it should be a manufactured board to prevent warping. I'd make the interior out of white melamine
    for brightness and put a durable top on it
    With respect, the image has a dated look to it with sliding doors. Consider louvre doors for a nautical theme. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

Looks like particle board or ply with a formica laminate, edged with solid teak lippings.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bertie 56

If you want something that last in time, don't use MDF / chipboard...etc...
    All this stuff is for inside use for houses .
    Don't even trust WBP sold in Ireland for boats !

Red panel in 14mm is available, but not suitable for marine use neither ( glue not good enough, and will wrapped in no time with humidity ).

Get some good Marine plywood ( grade BS 1088 ), veneered with whichever wood you want.

Of course, this is expensive. But you get what you pay for...

If you don't trust me, check the black spots that appears on the lower part of the door ( left of the picture)

Boat = permanent humidity !
    ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I the front of our boat there is a press and drawer setup as in the pic attached. This is done with 2 x 1 and then doors attached and 3 drawers. ( The heater is now gone and i have another door in it's place) I was thinking I might go down the same route and do something simmiler down the back and try and make it look like it was all there from the start, about 1980.
    Again thanks for all the suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Id say its piranah pine edging on a formica panel. May be completly wrong, but i doubt it.

Advertisement