Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

false complaint to a local authority

Options
  • 03-07-2012 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

is it a crime for a person to make a false complaint to a local authority as it is to make a false complaint to the gardai - i think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine it will depend. That the facts are wrong isn't necessarily the point - there may be a defence of qualified privilege, e.g. if someone see a over-flowing drain and reports it to the council as an over-flowing sewer (much more serious issue), then that the facts were wrong wouldn't really be an issue.

If they maliciously reported something that was true, e.g. that you were running a chemical factory in a location where one wouldn't expect a chemical factory, but if the owner had all the appropriate consents, then that isn't much of a problem is it?

It would be much more an issue if it was false and malicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

Victor wrote: »
    I imagine it will depend. That the facts are wrong isn't necessarily the point - there may be a defence of qualified privilege, e.g. if someone see a over-flowing drain and reports it to the council as an over-flowing sewer (much more serious issue), then that the facts were wrong wouldn't really be an issue.

If they maliciously reported something that was true, e.g. that you were running a chemical factory in a location where one wouldn't expect a chemical factory, but if the owner had all the appropriate consents, then that isn't much of a problem is it?

It would be much more an issue if it was false and malicious.
    assume it is false and malicious

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

I was told it may be defamation? Is reporting it to one person publishing it if is is false/malicious. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

If you do a search we had a discussion on the application of the defamation act to people making false complaints to the ombudsman. I would imagine the same grounds would apply here. essentially it would come down to proving the malicious aspect of the complaint.

Advertisement