Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SW wants passport and flight details?

Options
  • 03-07-2012 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I was in college till end of june ( i was getting a social wlefare payment & rent allowance) when i finished college i stopped signing on and i went to the usa to see if i could get some work (no visa) anyway that didnt work out as planned, so now i am back in Ireland living with my parents, i went into the local social welfare office to apply for JSA and the person at the counter said they want to see my passport to prove i was in the USA or copies of my flight tickets.
    question is why do they want them its not like i am claiming for that period of time, surely he does not have the right to ask for that info,
    I would of thought that if i wasnt claiming or working then what i am doing or where i am is none of the departmens business?
    can someone advise me please, i should point out that this person (man in social welfare) has a serious attitude problem, not just with me but with everyone, well anyone i know that has ever dealt with him has had his bad attitude (talking down to people, telling them they are entitled to nothing when they are only asking for application forms, its like all the money is coming out of his pocket).
    furthermore is there anyone i can complain too about the way he has spoken to me or would that just be a waste of time?
    its bad enough having to sign on without his condacending attitude making me feel worthless.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

You need your passport anyway to sign on so if u have nothing to hide what's the issue, yes he is being a prick because he can, but I would just be happy I am not him, show him my passport and let him see that you where in the big old us of a and f*ck him...and make sure you are uber nice to him as it pisses people like him off even more

Would it not be incase you are trying to get around the 9week non payment period that applies when you leave a job without being let go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

dunno about the 9 week thing as i was not in a job i was in college, I dont need my passport to sign on ( not evryone has a passport) i can use my driving licence, its not like the man doesnt know me, he does know me ( smallish town) like he would know 90% of the locals that sign on) and i did produce my driving licence for photo id which he photocopied.
    he is just being a Pr*ck but i hate going in there and he just makes the thoughts of it a nightmare, aside from that, what i need to know is do i have to legally show him the info he asked for? I am confident i dont as there is no issue to my identity.
    Thanks replying

No you don't but being a prick too isn't going to get you far...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Hi all, I was in college till end of june ( i was getting a social wlefare payment & rent allowance) when i finished college i stopped signing on and i went to the usa to see if i could get some work (no visa) anyway that didnt work out as planned, so now i am back in Ireland living with my parents, i went into the local social welfare office to apply for JSA and the person at the counter said they want to see my passport to prove i was in the USA or copies of my flight tickets.
    question is why do they want them its not like i am claiming for that period of time, surely he does not have the right to ask for that info,
    I would of thought that if i wasnt claiming or working then what i am doing or where i am is none of the departmens business?
    can someone advise me please, i should point out that this person (man in social welfare) has a serious attitude problem, not just with me but with everyone, well anyone i know that has ever dealt with him has had his bad attitude (talking down to people, telling them they are entitled to nothing when they are only asking for application forms, its like all the money is coming out of his pocket).
    furthermore is there anyone i can complain too about the way he has spoken to me or would that just be a waste of time?
    its bad enough having to sign on without his condacending attitude making me feel worthless.

Perhaps you mean that you were in college till the end of May as we're only a few days past the end of June? Or were you away for a year?

I don't know why the Dept of Social Protection person would be demanding to see your passport and tickets to the US. Did you sign off for all payments immediately you finished college? Are you an Irish national who has lived here all your life apart from the time in the US? Assuming all is in order with regard to that, you should ask him why he needs evidence of where you have been? He would be immediately able to give you an answer to that. Also ask him to refer to the Department guidelines which specify that. If you are not happy with the responses, you have the right to complain and can use this link.
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW104/Pages/CommentsorComplaints.aspx

• Advertisement

@ Balagan, yes you are correct with the date i am Irish born and bred never lived anywhere else. I did ask him why he wanted to see my passport or tickets and he said " because i want to see the dates you were not here" to which i replied "i was not here for the dates that i didnt sign on"
    thanks for the link

ha i just checked that link for complaining and party of it reads:

The manager at your local office is responsible for all issues concerning his/her office and will investigate your complaint.

the guy is the only one in the office he is the manager he is god apparently! :eek::rolleyes:

Can I ask if u signed off before you went away because if not then you are in the wrong and need to provide said info

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

He can ask for your passport to see the dates you were away to ensure no overpayment occured.
    Also, you need to be habitually resident in Ireland in order to claim - if you were only abroad on a temporary visa, this will show your habitual residence here. However, if you have a permanent residency visa for another country, questions will be asked re: your habitual residence.

Mod Note:
    Users are reminded to read the forum charter. This is not a forum for criticising staff of the Department.

Advertisement