Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exporting JB from Ireland to the UK - practical experience?

Options
  • 03-07-2012 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I understand that a resident of Ireland who is in receipt of JB is entitled to move to another EU member state, such as the UK, and have his JB payment "exported" for up to three months. My understanding is as follows:
    • A week prior to departure from Ireland the person is required to notify the DSP local office and fill out a form. In the case of exportation to the UK, a form U2 is then handed to the person, which is to be given to the local Jobcentre Plus office in the UK.
    • Payment of Irish JB, at the Irish rate, is paid weekly directly to the person's bank account, for up to 13 weeks.
    • Throughout this time, the person is required to sign-on at the Jobcentre Plus in the UK, as if being paid by the UK authorities, even though no payment from the UK authorities is being made at that time.
    • If the person remains unemployed after the 13th week, the person can receive UK JA.

Are the points of my understanding above correct?

Does anyone have any experience of doing this? If so, can anybody share:
    • What happens when you visit the UK Jobcentre Plus for the first time and present the form U2?
    • What questions are asked?
    • Are you required to sit an interview to be issued with a National Insurance number?
    • What is the signing-on frequency?
    • What evidence, if any, is usually sought by the staff of the UK Jobcentre Plus that the person is genuinely seeking work?

Any thoughts welcome.

Advertisement