Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SMF or DMF for Mondeo?

Options
  • 03-07-2012 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My 06 mondeo with over 160km has finally came to a halt.

The starter wont kick in due to the DMF (Duel Mass Flywheel) deteriorating and clogging the starter motor with bits of filings. I noticed the DMF was on the way out a few weeks back as when I was changing gear something a squeak would be heard intermittently.

Anyways from speaking to Ford and my mechanic both have proposed that maybe changing to a SMF (Solid Mass Flywheel) might be better in the long run and that alot of taxi drivers would change to SMF or even weld their DMF to make it solid.

The kit to change to SMF includes a new clutch and slave cylinder release bearing. We will have a look at the starter when its out and see if it’s ok (hopefully). The cost of the DMF and clutch from Ford is scandalous so there is a massive saving to go down the SMF route..

My DMF is knackered so I have to get it changed at this stage anyways but has anyone here changed from a DMF to SMF? Will it affect the driving performance of the car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

If it is 5 speed then fit a solid flywheel, if 6 speed then go with the DMF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

5 speed it is..

Why you say go for a solid flywheel for 5 speed only?

For some reason fitting a solid flywheel to the 6 speed causes a serious amount of noise and gearbox chatter and general lack of refinement. The 5 speed doesn't have these problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

thewools wrote: »
    weld their DMF to make it solid.

Absolute madness, would that not greatly affect the DMF's centrifugal forces and cause a lot more vibrations as its no longer balanced at speed? (open to correction though....)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YnaXB8q3uzQ

So anyone ever have any experience in switching from a DMF to SMF?

I've decided to go down the SMF road mainly due to the drastic cost saving and reliability factor associated with them.

I didnt fancy changing another DMF and clutch in the future so hopefully the SMF set up will keep the car on the road for the forseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Generally the car will feel a bit rougher after the SMF conversion (a DMF is designed to smother out vibrations and give the impression that a diesel is as smooth running as its petrol engined equivalent, it's precisely because of this that the DMFs in diesel engines wear out, whereas DMFs in petrol engined cars rarely fail), but apart from that it depends on the car.

As others have already said, some cars will take a SMF no problem at all, whereas other cars will run like dogs and people end up re-fitting DMFs as a result.

If your car can take a traditional flywheel that will never go wrong, I see no reason not to go with it!

To me it's a selling point of the car, because you know for a fact that it's one less thing for any potential second-hand buyer to worry about:)!

The conspiracy theorist in me says that the only reason manufacturers introduced DMFs was because proper traditional flywheels were too bloody reliable:rolleyes:!

Generally the car will feel a bit rougher after the SMF conversion (a DMF is designed to smother out vibrations and give the impression that a diesel is as smooth running as its petrol engined equivalent, it's precisely because of this that the DMFs in diesel engines wear out, whereas DMFs in petrol engined cars rarely fail), but apart from that it depends on the car.

As others have already said, some cars will take a SMF no problem at all, whereas other cars will run like dogs and people end up re-fitting DMFs as a result.

If your car can take a traditional flywheel that will never go wrong, I see no reason not to go with it!

To me it's a selling point of the car, because you know for a fact that it's one less thing for any potential second-hand buyer to worry about:)!

The conspiracy theorist in me says that the only reason manufacturers introduced DMFs was because proper traditional flywheels were too bloody reliable:rolleyes:!

Thanks, yes I would expect the SMF to be a bit rougher. I can live with that as my car has been rough for a long time. If anything this might improve matters... :)

Should have the SMF kit fitted sometime next week... Fingers crossed that it works out well...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Breaker19

thewools wrote: »

Thanks, yes I would expect the SMF to be a bit rougher. I can live with that as my car has been rough for a long time. If anything this might improve matters... :)

Should have the SMF kit fitted sometime next week... Fingers crossed that it works out well...
    Let us know how it goes and if there's much of a difference

Breaker19 wrote: »
    Let us know how it goes and if there's much of a difference

All went well - bar I had to get a replacement starter too... :(

I kind of expected that anyways but was hoping that the starter would just need a dusting down. The DMF that came out was well F**ked, took alot of wear and was rotating way too much. The amount of dust and crap that the DMF dropped into the starter was crazy, it was all over the gear box too but a quick power hose sorted that...

Performance wise - the clutch took a bit of time getting used to. The biting point is different but changing gears seems alot smoother now. Also the noise and vibration is all gone now thank god.

Saved alot of moeny going down the SMF route... fingers crossed it doesnt play up again.

You were unlucky. We do a lot of Mondeo flywheels and very rarely ever have to change the starter at the same time as the DMF. Usually cleaning and lubricating the mechanism sorts them out fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

There's a solid flywheel available now for the 6 speed Mondeo's we stock & supply them and they are highly reliable (Valeo brand).

Sadly there are people out there now on donedeal.ie, etc, offering absolute s***e for sale in the DMF and solid flywheel field, lads doing complete botch jobs on trying to solidify these particular clutch components and when it comes to a warranty situation, these guys won't stand by their own shadow.

We've had a couple of customers who have been put to huge expense (after a warranty was not honoured), and had to buy the Original Equipment (LuK or Sachs), replacement components off us and pay the labour again on the job. Note, the dodgy parts were originally sourced off donedeal.ie.

I'm not saying the solid flywheel in the 6 speed isn't reliable, just that it isn't very refined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I'm not saying the solid flywheel in the 6 speed isn't reliable, just that it isn't very refined.

I've never heard any complaints in relation to any difference detected by customers on any solid flywheel conversion kit we've sold and we've sold thousands, but we only sell Valeo for most of the applications we sell for and one or two other highly reputable brands where a solution is not available in Valeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 oldtt

Mine has just gone, and my mechanic is struggling to come accross a conversion kit for the 6 speed '08 1.8 TDCI (125) Could you PM me with more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

oldtt wrote: »
    Mine has just gone, and my mechanic is struggling to come accross a conversion kit for the 6 speed '08 1.8 TDCI (125) Could you PM me with more info?

Don't think there is one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭creedp

There's a solid flywheel available now for the 6 speed Mondeo's we stock & supply them and they are highly reliable (Valeo brand).

Sadly there are people out there now on donedeal.ie, etc, offering absolute s***e for sale in the DMF and solid flywheel field, lads doing complete botch jobs on trying to solidify these particular clutch components and when it comes to a warranty situation, these guys won't stand by their own shadow.

We've had a couple of customers who have been put to huge expense (after a warranty was not honoured), and had to buy the Original Equipment (LuK or Sachs), replacement components off us and pay the labour again on the job. Note, the dodgy parts were originally sourced off donedeal.ie.

What is the difference between the price of a DMF and SMF? Are the labour costs the same for both? Presumably a 6 speed Mondeo is the same as 6 speed S-Max? Sorry about all the questions - Im just considering options.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 oldtt

Just bought the DMF one on Ebay for LUK - £475 inc Vat, dealer was looking 620 Ex, or for off brand 500 Ex, Looks like I saved myself approx €200.......4yr/40km warranty. I'll let you's know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 117

Hi i have a 1.8 08 TDCI mondeo on its third DMF. Now it is going again. Having heard all scary comments about vibrations and noises has any one actually done one convert to SMF. I am seriously thinking of going that route as i cannot put another one in. mine is a 5 speed.
    Any advice gratefully appreciated
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

What mileage have you on it?

i have over 300.000. on car and only 16.000 on the existing clutch.

• Advertisement

117 wrote:
    i have over 300.000. on car and only 16.000 on the existing clutch.

Something wrong there, did you get any sort of a warranty with it? I'd be going back to where I got it done...

The warranty is a little complicated. Did not get it done in a Ford Garage. However the past is gone. My mechanic recommends not to put in a SMF. i dont want to put another DMF. So you see where i stand. My question does the SMF work in my model as most of the posts i have read some does and some dont. Also the cost is getting a little expensive now. I suppose if there is nobody who can say yes it works or no dont do it. Probably just go for the SMF and see what happens.

I personally wouldn't. After replacing the clutch and flywheel in a 2008 mondeo, weighed up the pros and cons of both. The horror stories and mechanics advice led me to stick with the DMF.

Ford garage or not, I wouldn't just move on with the fact a DMF only lasted you 16k!!

Many thanks.
    Will let you know how i get on.

Advertisement