Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Paint needs a good overhaul

Options
  • 02-07-2012 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭

Hi, not sure where to begin with this, so here goes.

Recently bought an older car with dark blue metallic paint.

The previous owner tried to cover up numerous scrapes and scuffs with what I think is that "dab on" scratch repair. Only problem is, it's the wrong colour and it's way too thick.

Now, as it's an old car, I'm not going to invest a heap of time and money getting it perfect, but I'd still like to have it presentable.

So, should I sand down the touched up areas with 2000 grit and assess the real damage, then try to feather in the correct paint from the paint code?

Bearing in mind that the paintwork is so flat, (I didn't realise it was metallic until I t-cut a small bit of the bonnet today) should I t-cut the whole car first, before tackling the bad areas?

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced buffer? I'd rather not do this by hand if possible as it's a big estate car.

Any and all advice very welcome.

Thanks.

Advertisement