Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating LC - Possible to take up Finnish/Japanese/German?

Options
  • 02-07-2012 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I am repeating the LC and I was wanted to do finnish,japanese and german! I have a foundation in japanese already, and know a little finnish and german (basic phrases and vocab and what-not)

But i would only have the 1 year to learn each one and get a pass... Does anyone think this is possible, or anyone who knows any of the 3 languages think its possible?

Thankin' you! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Your best bet would be Japanese as it's only a two year course, you'd have to have 6 years of German to do the exam like. There is no syllabus for Finnish so it's not a subject for LC as such, just an exam that you can take if Finnish is your mother tongue. I also wanted to do Swedish for the leaving cert since I'm learning it anyway and know a decent amount, but I couldn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Japanese would be your best bet - it's a two year syllabus.
    Make sure you let your school/centre know you want to do it in plenty of time, as the SEC isn't overrun with Japanese oral examiners and they like to know in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah, only 5 Japanese oral examiners in the country. I did Japanese without any tuition too, and feel I did pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

German is definitely doable at ordinary level in a year. I'd say there would be too much learning for honors though you'd never get it done!

Advertisement