Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"wood effect" stuff on wardrobes

Options
  • 02-07-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all,
    Just bought a house and the wardrobes have that "wood effect" covering on them that I am trying to find the name for. The best way I can describe it is that is is kinda like lino for wood - and its stuck on.

Given I cant afford to get rid of it right now I'm wondering if painting is an option or if it would just make it worse?

Thanks
    Ali

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

i'd say its either a veneer on it ,or less likely its Formica.i wouldn't have any experience of painting either of these really,but i can only guess painting it (if it is Formica) might not be the best finish,but someone else on here might have a better idea than me.Sorry i can't be of more help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I'm assuming that these are built ins.

If it's a wood veneer (popular in the 70's+80's you should be able to paint it with gloss paint, careful sanding it down because you could go through it, it's so thin.

If its hard like kitchen cabinets, (formica or similar) you can get a special kitchen paint with a more limited range of colours.

If it's a vinyl covering like you'd get on cheap flatpack furniture, I think you're pretty much stuck with it, unless you want to put more sticky vinyl in a different colour over it.

If you wait until your budget will stretch a bit further and you find a carpenter (DIY or Pro) you'll be surprised how cheaply new doors can be put up for.

Advertisement