Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ODE problem, stuck!

Options
  • 02-07-2012 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

44ba7.jpg

Currently having problems with this question.

First thing I did was rearrange the equation z=y/x to y=zx. I got y' using the product rule and got y' = dz/dx*x + z

I subbed y' into the original equation and played around with it to see if I could make it work. I tried factorising and rearranging and I can't get it seem to work out.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Nevermind, figured it out, wolfram put me in the right direction.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

If you get a chance maybe you could outline your solution here? Just in case someone comes across this problem/thread in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

In terms of methods this equation has the form of a Bernoullli differential equation:

[latex] xyy' = 3x^3 e^x + xe^x y^2 + y^2[/latex]
    [latex] xyy' = 3x^3 e^x + (xe^x + 1)y^2[/latex]
    [latex] y' = (3x^2 e^x)y^{-1} + (e^x + \frac{1}{x})y[/latex]
    [latex] y' = P(x)y + Q(x)y^{-1}[/latex]

Which on substituting z = y², differentiating it w.r.t. x & replacing terms in

[latex] yy' = P(x)y^2 + Q(x)[/latex]

reduces it to a linear differential equation. But following the recommended substitution we find

[latex] z(x) = \frac{y}{x}[/latex]
    [latex] z'(x) = \frac{y'}{x} - \frac{y}{x^2}[/latex]
    [latex] z'(x) = \frac{y'}{x} - \frac{z}{x}[/latex]
    [latex] zz'(x) = \frac{zy'}{x} - \frac{z^2}{x}[/latex]
    [latex] zz'(x) = \frac{1}{x}(zy' - z^2)[/latex]
    [latex] zz'(x) = \frac{1}{x}( \frac{y}{x}[(3x^2 e^x)y^{-1} + (e^x + \frac{1}{x})y] - z^2)[/latex]
    [latex] zz'(x) = \frac{1}{x}( \frac{y}{x}[(3x^2 e^x)y^{-1} + (e^x + \frac{1}{x})y] - z^2)[/latex]
    [latex] zz'(x) = \frac{y}{x^2}[(3x^2 e^x)y^{-1} + (e^x + \frac{1}{x})y] - \frac{1}{x}z^2[/latex]

[latex] zz'(x) = \frac{1}{x^2}[(3x^2 e^x) + (e^x + \frac{1}{x})y^2] - \frac{1}{x}z^2[/latex]

[latex] zz'(x) = [ \frac{1}{x^2}(3x^2 e^x) + \frac{1}{x^2}(e^x + \frac{1}{x})y^2] - \frac{1}{x}z^2[/latex]

[latex] zz'(x) = [ (3e^x) + (e^x \frac{y^2}{x^2} + \frac{y^2}{x^3})] - \frac{1}{x}z^2[/latex]

[latex] zz'(x) = (3e^x) + (e^x \frac{y^2}{x^2} + \frac{y^2}{x^3}) - \frac{y^2}{x^3}[/latex]

[latex] zz'(x) = 3e^x + e^x z^2 [/latex]

[latex] zz'(x) = e^x(3 + z^2) [/latex]

which seems pretty ridiculous substitution since it still takes the form of a Bernoulli equation but maybe evaluating the original is too complicated when you explicitly write out the linear part idk...

Advertisement