Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning French resources

Options
  • 02-07-2012 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Bonjour,

I am just starting to learn French and I have an excellent free podcast (Learning French with Alexa) which is giving me the basics, but beyond that, what are the good resources for learning French from beginner to intermediate? I am looking for a course that contains a book/ cd and even a dvd (similar to Turas Teanga for Irish).

Im looking for something as fun as possible, not grammar heavy, and one that gets you speaking above all else. (Im not interested in Rosetta Stone, its too expensive!)

Merci
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Search for busuu on google or some other search engine. It's a huge online community for learning French. There are optional paid extras but they aren't necessary. They even have (partly) free apps for smartphones/tablets.

I'm looking to improve my French too, so if you come across anything or need help just send me a message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

Have you had a look at the resources posted above - on page two ?
    Est-ce que vous avez jeté un oeil à la deuxième page des 'ressources' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Alex152

Im learning french too, I use a number of verb sites but the useful ones for me are:

for verbs: www.verb2verb.com - conjugation of verbs is translated
    for speaking and writing: www.easylanguageexchange.com - saves all my conversations

I've advanced alot recently, let me know if there are any other sites you guys can recommend

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

Try looking out for Pimsleur cds. I'm sure you can find a bargain on the internet from somewhere. I went through them before moving to a French speaking environment and they got me started ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EhBenDisDonc

Starting out, I really liked Hugo - French in 3 Months. I never bothered with the CD.

The book I keep going back to is "The Ultimate French Review and Practice".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EhBenDisDonc

Also - you should look back to a post from earlier this year called 'Rusty Grammar'.

Advertisement