Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very concerned about my laptop, Help Please!

Options
  • 02-07-2012 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

I have a Samsung R708 and am having a few problems with the mouse cursor and display. I turned it on and all seemed fine, then it started freezing for a few seconds at a time and the mouse cursor was not responding properly to the touchpad or a USB mouse. I then noticed that odd pixels on the display were red, green or blue.

I restarted and the pixel problem appeared over the most of the screen as soon as Windows 7 started to book. So I turned it off.

I waited half an hour and turned it on again. The display was fine but the mouse cursor still wan't responding properly. Turned it off again.

I waited a bit more then started it again. To begin with the mouse cursor responded but after about 5 minutes or so it stopped responding.

I thought it might be water damage as I'd just cycled home and had been caught in a downpour, but I've had it in the bag cycling home in rain before an all has been fine and I could not see any water on it. Also, it started fine to begin with, before I realised anything was wrong.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If you think it's water damage, turn it off, remove power and battery and put it somewhere to dry for 24+ hours. More on dealing with water damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

If it is water damage and I have turned it on a few times is it likely that it is permanently damaged? Do I just have to wait and see?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If there's a chance there's still liquid inside, even if you've already turned it on, I'd follow the dry-out procedure.

After that's done you can resolve any hardware issues without concern that you might be exacerbating the issue.

The issue you described with pixels could be your LCD, graphics card, or even (less likely) CPU. The issue with the cursor could be your trackpad - try an external mouse and see if you still have the same issue.

I suspect you may have some hardware problems and need replacement parts (or swap the HDD into a new machine).

HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Thanks Trojan, it's been in the hot press for the past few days. I turned it on a few hours ago and it's been running fine.

Thanks again!

Advertisement