Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers Benefit....

Options
  • 02-07-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi Everyone, I wanted to ask if anyone can answer this query for me.

My husband (Who is originally from Derry) and has been living in Scotland with me for 6 and half year, and I, have decided we are moving to Ireland. I am lucky enough that my employers are going to relocate me to Donegal and I can do my job from there. My husband has been applying for every job advertised for about 4 months to no avail.

The time is getting closer to us moving now and obviously we are concerned that he isn't going to have an income. Someone has told us that he may be able to claim jobseekers benefit as he has been working continuously in Scotland for over 6 years and he can basically transfer his working history or something?

Just wondered if anyone had any info at all that they have and if what we have been told is true. We were told he wouldn't need to meet the habitual residence condition because jobseekers benefit is different. Is that the case?

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

Your best bet is to call the Donegal office. http://www.welfare.ie/EN/ContactUs/Pages/localoffice.aspx#donegal .

Click on the area your moving too and call that office.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As stated above you could try contacting them but in the meantime I'll move this the State Benefits forums where the good people there may be able to answer your query :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Contributions you have paid in other member states of the EU/EEA will be added to your Irish contributions. If you are applying for Jobseeker's Benefit and need the contributions paid in another EU/EEA country to help you qualify, then your last contribution must have been in Ireland.

From here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html

In plain words your other half must get one Irish stamp before his Scottish one's are any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 versace1888

Sorry if this sounds daft but how would he go about getting an Irish stamp?

Before working in Scotland for 6 and a half years he worked in Derry for 8 years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Do a weeks work for a company in Ireland.Easier said than done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

I know this isn't the point, but I just wanted to say that he may have better luck when he actually moves to Ireland and has an Irish address. Applying for jobs from abroad can be much harder because employers sometimes wonder if the person will actually take the plunge and move.

thanks for all the help guys xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

If your husband is in Contribution-Based Jobseeker's Allowance in the UK, this can be transferred to Ireland (albeit at the UK rate) for up to three months.

He is working full time at the moment Kotek. xxx

He is working full time at the moment Kotek. xxx

Is he sure he wants to move to Ireland? :eek:

• Advertisement

Yeah absolutely! He's originally from Derry and has lived in Scotland for 6 years but hates it - so we are moving to Ireland! xx

Fair enough.

Based on what you have said, once resident in Ireland your husband will not have an entitlement to receive Jobseeker's Benefit in Ireland, but may be able to claim Jobseeker's Allowance in Ireland.

The Habitual Residence Condition in Ireland is complex. Residence in the Common Travel Area for at least 2 years is of benefit, but your husband still needs to satisfy the Deciding Officer in relation to the "five factors":
    • Factor 1 - Length and continuity of residence in Ireland or in any other particular country
    • Factor 2 - Length and purpose of any absence from Ireland
    • Factor 3 - Nature and pattern of employment
    • Factor 4 - Applicant's main centre of interest
    • Factor 5 - Future intention of applicant concerned as they appear from all the circumstances.

Has your husband ever lived in Ireland?

yes, as i said he was born and raised in Derry and lived there up until 6 years ago. He has never lived in the republic though. x

Derry is in the UK. I was referring to the state of Ireland. Having never lived in Ireland your husband will have to show as much weight as possible as regards to the five factors - particularly factor 4 and 5.

Advertisement