Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baxi Boiler problems

Options
  • 02-07-2012 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭

I noticed for the last few days that i haven't been getting any hot water. Chcked the Baxi gas boiler today and it was flashing E160. The pressure gauge was at 0.2. Rang a plumber and he said it can be the pump or the fan. He quoted €450 to replace the circuit board or €200 for the fan. Rang another one nad he told me to check my water pressure upstairs in the hot press. It was at 0. Someone had turned of the water feeding the heating system. So I turned it back on and brought it up to 1 bar. The gauge on the boiler went up to 2.5. I turned it back on and got the same error E160. I also noticed the light wasn't coming on for the burner. I have a fella coming out in the morning to look at it but I thought I'd ask a few questions here first.

Are the prices quoted by the first guy right or could I get it for much lower?

If a repair and service would set me back €600 what price would i be looking at for a new boiler and should I consider purchasing one? Current one is about three years old.

Is there still a grant available for upgrading your boiler and if so would I be eligible at all?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm not an expert just a Baxi Megaflow HE28 IE owner who happened to have his manual a few feet away when reading this thread :D

According to the manual 0.2 bar is the normal operating pressure for a Sealed or semi sealed Baxi system.

By opening that valve in the hotpress and the pressure jumping to 2.5bar you are getting close to the 3bar level where a safety pressure relief valve kicks in. In other words, it sounds like no one messed with this hotpress valve and you should turn that hotpress valve back to the way it was.

The Manual says that Fault code E160 is "Fan or Fan wiring Fault"

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Unlikely to be the wiring, sounds like fan has had it.
    (not uncommon)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

DGOBS wrote: »
    Unlikely to be the wiring, sounds like fan has had it.
    (not uncommon)

Expensive?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Not 100%, think that fan was 150-170 ish....would have to price check that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

DGOBS wrote: »
    Not 100%, think that fan was 150-170 ish....would have to price check that one!

Not too bad i suppose. Be about €300 for callout, repair and service in that case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement