Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bathroom renovation

Options
  • 02-07-2012 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hello

Planning to do bathroom renovation in 6 years old apartment, first floor – new shower and shower enclosure, new pump, tiling of painted wall.
    Now floor, basin and shower areas are tiled, the rest is painted wall.

The problem is that its very difficult to find new tiles to match old. I’m reluctant to ged rid of old tiling – it looks nice, not damaged. Plus replacing old tiles will double tiling costs...

Any ideas where to find tiles in greyish/blueish colour with marble-like pattern?

Already done shopping around (Chadwicks, BTW in Sandyford, Tile shop in Bray) – no luck. Shops change tiles every couple of years. May be it makes sence to bite the bullet and replace old tiles?

Also pump question – now its 1.5 bar, planning to install 3bar to get decent shower pressure.
    Would 3 bar be ok for pipes? Heard 3bar might cause leaks. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

kozak wrote: »
    Hello

Planning to do bathroom renovation in 6 years old apartment, first floor – new shower and shower enclosure, new pump, tiling of painted wall.
    Now floor, basin and shower areas are tiled, the rest is painted wall.

The problem is that its very difficult to find new tiles to match old. I’m reluctant to ged rid of old tiling – it looks nice, not damaged. Plus replacing old tiles will double tiling costs...

Any ideas where to find tiles in greyish/blueish colour with marble-like pattern?

Already done shopping around (Chadwicks, BTW in Sandyford, Tile shop in Bray) – no luck. Shops change tiles every couple of years. May be it makes sence to bite the bullet and replace old tiles?

Also pump question – now its 1.5 bar, planning to install 3bar to get decent shower pressure.
    Would 3 bar be ok for pipes? Heard 3bar might cause leaks. Any thoughts?

Thanks

1.5 bar pump is a strong pump for a shower.

I have a 1.5 bar pump for my large rainfall shower and it chucks out some amount of water indeed.

3 bar could "possibly" cause issues with any push fittings,if you have push fittings on the plumbing pipes.

TileStyle in Balymount is the largest tile shop and showroom in Europe.

Also try Dublin Tile and Bathroom Centre in Tallaght (behind Rovers Football Stadium).

And also Right Price Tiles at various locations around Dublin.

Regards.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

JP in Caesar Tiles Baldonnell is worth calling re tiles.

Paddy - did you come across a good bathroom re-fitter when doing your work?

Maybe pm if you know someone you could recommend, we have sourced all the materials.

CBYR1983 wrote: »
    JP in Caesar Tiles Baldonnell is worth calling re tiles.

Paddy - did you come across a good bathroom re-fitter when doing your work?

Maybe pm if you know someone you could recommend, we have sourced all the materials.

Hes gone abroad a while now,to seek a better life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

If choosing a 3 bar pump you would want to make sure you have enough hot water to back up what your pump will pump out

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

have you a picture of your tiles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kozak

Thanks for your replies.

1) pump – it seems 2 bar is safer option. 3 bar pump looks a bit risky option.

2) Tiles – here are pictures of a) old tiles and b) new tiles which look like the best match.

Have you seen bathroom done in 2 tones? pictures will be appreciated.

What brand of grout, adhesive, tanking is the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Kozac would you not consider using a contrasting tile instead of trying to match the existing ones? I think putting up a similar colour tile in a different size and pattern will look bitty. Why not look for something in the darker colour of your border tile to pull it all together?

Large wall tiles and moasic stone borders can work very well together.

Makes a bathroom seem bigger,with regards space.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kozak

Wyldwood

I thought about contrasting colour for new tiles, just can't imagine how would it look like. Also dark tiles would make room look smaller, light will make it look bigger. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

It would depend on how much natural light the room gets. Has it a large window, does it face south or west or is it north/east? Also depends on how much new tiling is needed. The existing tiles are light enough so if you add dark tiles, even a slightly darker grey, with some large mirrors and good lighting I think it would look quite well. Have a look on www.houzz.com for bathroom ideas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement