Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deeper meaning of 'home' as Gaeilge?

Options
  • 02-07-2012 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi, as far as I understand the direct translation of 'home' as Gaeilge is "baile" (e.g. sa bhaile - at home).
    I was just wondering are there any better words that mean 'home' but are not necessarily translated as such?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

mcguinj wrote: »
    Hi, as far as I understand the direct translation of 'home' as Gaeilge is "baile" (e.g. sa bhaile - at home).
    I was just wondering are there any better words that mean 'home' but are not necessarily translated as such?

'Baile' is the main word here but if you get a chance to flick through a dictionary, you'll see it's various uses.
    You may remember an old proverb: Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin, which translates as 'there's no hearth (home) like your own hearth (home).
    In Donegal the variation is 'Níl clúdaigh (from clúid) ar bith mar do chlúdaigh féin.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

'Baile' is the main word here but if you get a chance to flick through a dictionary, you'll see it's various uses.
    You may remember an old proverb: Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin, which translates as 'there's no hearth (home) like your own hearth (home).
    In Donegal the variation is 'Níl clúdaigh (from clúid) ar bith mar do chlúdaigh féin.

Of course, there's always the other version of that - "Níl aon tóin tinn mar do thóin tinn féin." :D

Sorry OP, that doesn't help you at all. I looked at this question the other day and some faint thought/memory nagged at me, but I just couldn't clarify what it was. If my muse gives me a slap on the back of the head I'll let you know what I come up with!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

mcguinj wrote: »
    No, there is no better word, baile is the usual word.
    You could say "mo theach", "an teach se'amsa" but they are not better than "baile".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Baile is as good a word as home.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mcguinj

Thanks everybody for all the responses - they have been very useful. I especially like the proverb below.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Bunreacht na hÉireann also gives "teaghlach" as the Irish for home, as well as for family. It's most common use is probably a mix between the two (ie, household).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Bunreacht na hÉireann also gives "teaghlach" as the Irish for home, as well as for family. It's most common use is probably a mix between the two (ie, household).
    I wouldn't read it as "home" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Gumbi wrote: »
    I wouldn't read it as "home" though.

I wouldn't either, just putting it out there.

A bit off topic, but in terms of the Irish version, the Bunreacht has some interesting and peculiar Irish words (granted it was drafted nearly 80 years ago). Eg, "flannbhuí" answering for orange, "leithreas" for "appropriation and "Sacs-Bhéarla" for English. Its content and the history surrounding it is fairy interesting.

Advertisement