Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for 6 berth camper.

Options
  • 02-07-2012 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi there, I'm looking for advice on buying my first camper. I've been looking for quite a while and think i've finally decided on what I want in terms of layout etc. So here is the list:
    1. 6 berth.
    2. Fixed double bed or fixed bunks x 2 and double over cab big enough for 6'5" man & wife.
    3. 2.8 diesel engine min.
    4. Garage of decent size.
    5. Preferably with option to put kayaks etc on roof.
    6. Good build quality.
    7. This camper will be used throughout year so fully winterised.
    I have 20-25k to spend. I'm finding it hard to get info on point 6 above and this is the bit that I'm worried about. I don't want to spend this amount on a camper and end up with a bucket of trouble. If anyone can recommend a make and model or has experience good/bad i'd really appreciate it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bo.jangles

I have an ADRIA 660SP it got a fixed double at rear a large double over the cab and the dining table breaks down to a smaller double it also has a large garage and I think they come fitted with roof rails I am happy with the build quality and its a fiat ducato base. Adain M M might be able to tell you more as I think there a main dealer for them . They might be worth a look to give you an idea of whats out there. Best of luck in your search and I hope you have many year of happy motoring in what ever you get .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

we are indeed , the ONLY official ROI dealer for Adria , and they are a pretty darn good machine .

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ringoh

Thanks guys. Will check them out. Been looking at Knaus and auto trail so far but I've heard there is a problem with insulation on the Knaus. Any truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭the rambler

i have adria 670dk also, the 7 berth with bunks where bottom bunk folds up to give more garage space if required,
    very happy with it,
    aidan-mm informed me that all the adrias are on the maxi chassis with 16" wheels electric windows central locking to cab doors and rev counter and the big lump (2.8):D:D
    no complaints with the adria from me,

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

We are driving a Euramobil 585KB Sport (6m long). Compact but spacious layout.

It is fully winterised with a good german build quality as well as an alko chasis.

It has fixed bunks at rear with large overcab double that can fit me at 6ft 3 easily enough (OR 4 or 5 average sized kids ;-) ). There is also a double in the table area that has optional side extensions also.

Fiat Ducato chasis with 2.8 i.d.td engine (~ 27 MPG when driving easy)

Underfloor storage space is great with decent sized garage but alas we have no roof rails (Will look to get some in the future when we take up kayaking ;-) )

I would recommend Euramobil from our experiences and camper-vanning in general.

Have fun and remember to make the time to get out there.

Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

i have adria 670dk also, the 7 berth with bunks where bottom bunk folds up to give more garage space if required,
    very happy with it,
    aidan-mm informed me that all the adrias are on the maxi chassis with 16" wheels electric windows central locking to cab doors and rev counter and the big lump (2.8):D:D

Hey rambler... Have the very same machine as yourself... Well happy with it, just back from a month in France with no probs.
    What year is yours?? ... Mine doesn't have the rev counter.

Anyways another thumbs up for the adrias, build quality is as good if not better than what I've seen.
    They seem to be very popular on the continent too which is a good thing... In fact I'd say they were the most popular van by a long shot in the campsites I was staying in.... A lot of SPs and corals.
    Best of luck.
    Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

very happy with it,

just in case anyone thought I was leading you astray , but it's not that all that era (1998-2006) of Adria Coral were on Maxi chassis , rather that damn near all the ones we imported were . Most of the newer (2007 shape on) ones are on 15in wheel now , as that chassis is designed to suit MHs .
    For a mid '00 van , it's hard to top a 2.8 JTD Maxi . And obviously I'm biased to the Adria/Adriatik . They were one of the earlier companies to fully adopt GRP bodies , which are stronger and better insulated than Aluminium . Better to resist leaks too , and easier repair in damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ringoh

Great info so far guys...the search is beginning to narrow...thank god...there is so much out there to boggle my mind. Never mentioned that we are a family of 4. Two kids under 8.... So the bunk beds are beginning to look like the way to go...the kids won't be able to kick the ribbons out each other at night. The motorhome will be used during the winter so I want to get something that is able to function in cold conditions. Still trying to pick up pointers to look out for....I won't be offended if you post really basic hints....I'm too old to be taking offence at this stage......every day is a school day!!! Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭the rambler

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    just in case anyone thought I was leading you astray , but it's not that all that era (1998-2006) of Adria Coral were on Maxi chassis , rather that damn near all the ones we imported were . Most of the newer (2007 shape on) ones are on 15in wheel now , as that chassis is designed to suit MHs .
    For a mid '00 van , it's hard to top a 2.8 JTD Maxi . And obviously I'm biased to the Adria/Adriatik . They were one of the earlier companies to fully adopt GRP bodies , which are stronger and better insulated than Aluminium . Better to resist leaks too , and easier repair in damage.
    oops sorry about that,:o
    i should have given a bit more details,
    martyc5674 its 2001 (na na about the rev counter) :p

i just invested in a full set of rain gear for the whole family!!
    will it ever stop raining

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Major senior moment there by me... It does have a rev counter and I drove it up thru France about 2 days ago, can't believe I wrote that!!.., I need a dementia test!

Mines an 02 na na ;)

Your not in newcastlewest area??... Only place I spotted a 670 before.

Marty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement