Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confusion regarding post-graduate fees

Options
  • 02-07-2012 4:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Guys, on the www.studentfinance.ie it states:

Postgraduate students who meet the qualifying conditions for the special rate of grant will be eligible to have their post-graduate tuition fees paid up to the maximum fee limit (€6,270).

A further limited number of students who would previously have qualified under the standard grant thresholds will qualify to have a €2,000 contribution made towards the costs of their fees.

During my previous period of study 2005 - 9 I never recieved a grant. Does that mean I should I meet the qualifying conditions for what is listed in the first paragraph I'd have some of the fees cost paid?

Also, is there a hotline number to ring for studentfinances.ie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,024 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Once you meet the grant means test and qualifying criteria you should be able to get a fee grant of 2000 or 6270. For the 2000 you qualify if your income is less than 31500, for the 6270 you need to have an income less than 22700 and be receiving social welfare.

SUSI support details here
    www.studentfinance.ie/mp9553/contact-the-susi-support-desk/index.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Im straight out of college, but im not receiving social welfare, my parents income is less than the bottom threshold, and they are both receiving social welfare, should I qualify?

Im straight out of college, but im not receiving social welfare, my parents income is less than the bottom threshold, and they are both receiving social welfare, should I qualify?

I can't answer for certain but I would say it's very likely yes you would

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9 thepoker5

Hi,
    I am aware that you can get all of your fees paid for postgraduate study if you are classed as a disadvantaged student..I am wondering does anyone know that if my parents are on disability allowance and carers allowance does this mean, this would be disregarded when calculating reckonable income???

thepoker5 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am aware that you can get all of your fees paid for postgraduate study if you are classed as a disadvantaged student..I am wondering does anyone know that if my parents are on disability allowance and carers allowance does this mean, this would be disregarded when calculating reckonable income???

You can get fees upto 6270 paid.

Looks like carers allowance is disregarded but disability allowance isn't

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1339418623/Student_Grant_Scheme_2012.pdf

The following payments known for the purposes of this Scheme as “income disregards”,are not included in calculating reckonable income—
    • Child Benefit,
    • Family Income Supplement,
    • Disability Allowance (where paid to the applicant),
    • Blind Pension (where paid to the applicant),
    • One Parent Family Payments (Means Tested)
    • Carer’sAllowance,
    • Student Assistance Fund,
    • Student grant

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement