Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are you a Buddhist ?

Options
  • 01-07-2012 9:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭

Just a couple of simple question to get different perspectives.

Why are you a Buddhist ?

What does being a Buddist mean to you ?

Do you practice a partial mix of Buddhist and other philosophies, or just Buddhism ?

Why are you a Buddhist ? 18 votes

I was born into a Buddhist family / background
    0%
    I'm a convert to Buddhism
    0%
    I practice a partial mix of Buddhism and other philosophies/beliefs
    44%
    god's toyhelibellyAsiaprodcoffee_cakestomprockinJONCOLOHANmccoistPatrick83 8 votes
    I no longer practice Buddhism
    55%
    18ADAsiaprodthusspakeblixawylo[-0-]Lexeconor.hogan.2lesserspottedchloeHarrisonLennonzoeenya 10 votes
    None of the above, I'm just here out of interest
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

personally Ive been stunned by its effectiveness and the stuff its saying as a way to get a better more true experience of our reality than just assuming stuff that we think we know because thats how we've learned it from the day we were born so, I use it as a tool, along with other philosophy that carries out similar investigations, some new stuff, and some old stuff like advaita.

It just so happens that the methods give you a clearer insight into your experience. But it also so happens that there are huge links between quantum physics and stuff like emptiness (in Buddhism terms).
    Im not going to pretend right now that I know too much about that but Ive began reading alot about it and am finding it fascinating, so I guess all this is exciting me really, as both an intellectual interest, but also the insights and shifts that you personally attain.

I went from being a catholic, to an atheist, and I consider the teachings of Buddhism the next "level" of personal investigation in terms of shedding my beliefs about my experience of this world, and it just so happens that that process makes you incredibly happy, because you realize that suffering is also due to a lack of clarity.

EDIT: apologies if I sound like im over promoting it, Im like that, I just get excited and dramatic about stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Just a couple of simple question to get different perspectives.

Why are you a Buddhist ?

What does being a Buddist mean to you ?

Do you practice a partial mix of Buddhist and other philosophies, or just Buddhism ?
    Burt. I think you would get better results if you were to modify your poll. Having only a single selection will scew results. For example i would select both 2 and 3. I converted but I also use the I Ching as a tool for understanding. I also find the Tao od interest, but I call myself a Buddist first and foremost.
    Asia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Mix of Buddhism and general interest in History/Philiosphy/etc.

Advertisement