Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I too old to start skating?

Options
  • 01-07-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, sorry if it's not.

So this really has two parts; I was thinking about learning how to skate, I'm 24 and I've never tried to do it before. Am I too old to start? I'm not so worried about being **** at it or getting hurt as much as I'm worried that I'll look like a creeper if I do it.

And I was wondering as well whether anyone had any advice on a board for a complete beginner.

Cheers, S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

You only live once

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

What OP do you mean by "skate"?

Skateboarding?

Iceskating?

Rollerskating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I'm 24 and I've never tried to do it before. Am I too old to start?
    Doesn't matter what type, you're not too old to start anything.

Gurgle wrote: »
    Doesn't matter what type, you're not too old to start anything.

Very true, I believe its a great thing for a person of any age to take up a new pasttime/hobby. But I was just curious. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kierkegaard

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, I'm definitly going to give it a go.
    What OP do you mean by "skate"?

Skateboarding?

Iceskating?

Rollerskating?

Dang, sorry for not being clear. I meant skateboarding, probably trying to street skate more than in parks. Any advice on what board to get is really appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Was in my local adventure shop last week and there was an aul lad in there, must've been at least mid 60s and he telling the shop assistant that he was off to Alaska to learn how to snowboard :eek: :D I hope I'm that brave and spritely when I'm his age!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Maybe bring a little cousin with you to the skatepark and make it look like you're just trying to do it with them, then after you're good go there on your own and become their leader

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, I'm definitly going to give it a go.

Dang, sorry for not being clear. I meant skateboarding, probably trying to street skate more than in parks. Any advice on what board to get is really appreciated.

Its ok, I was just being curious. well, when I started skateboarding, I bought a board for 80euro. Dont spend to much on a board. Between 80 -100 should be more then enough. Id also say buy it in a skate shop. Stay away from the childrens skateboards for sale in smyths ect. There death traps lol. Also, youl need a set of skate shoes. DC or VANS.

One more thing. This is the first trick skaters learn, the ollie. Its the foundation of all tricks.

Best of luck OP.

So I've been looking around online and I'm thinking of getting this board; http://www.amazon.co.uk/RENNER-PRO-Z-SKATEBOARD-WHITE/dp/B001MJ2740/ref=sr_1_49?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1341233855&sr=1-49

or this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crime-Skatebord-Komplettboard-Thunder-Achsen/dp/B0041VTR12/ref=sr_1_79?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1341247977&sr=1-79

Just because I liked the idea of board being quite blank and being able to draw or write on the deck myself, are either of these any good? Or should I stay away from both of them?

Cheers, S.

So I've been looking around online and I'm thinking of getting this board; http://www.amazon.co.uk/RENNER-PRO-Z-SKATEBOARD-WHITE/dp/B001MJ2740/ref=sr_1_49?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1341233855&sr=1-49

or this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crime-Skatebord-Komplettboard-Thunder-Achsen/dp/B0041VTR12/ref=sr_1_79?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1341247977&sr=1-79

Just because I liked the idea of board being quite blank and being able to draw or write on the deck myself, are either of these any good? Or should I stay away from both of them?

Cheers, S.

Its hard to know tbh, As if you handeld it in real life, you could get a feel for the board ect. But either of them should be good for starting off. As there is no point in spending to much on your first board.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your help, I'll give it a go.

Thanks for all your help, I'll give it a go.

Your very welcome. Also remember its all about practise. :)

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kilkenny360

Never too old to start skating. I'm 24 myself and I've started skating again after stopping at 17. I would suggest some safety equipment starting off.

If you're ever around Kilkenny land there is always a good few of us rolling around.

Never too old to start skating. I'm 24 myself and I've started skating again after stopping at 17. .I would suggest some safety equipment starting off.

If you're ever around Kilkenny land there is always a good few of us rolling around.

Oh yes! , Definitely how did I miss that. :o

A set of knee and elbow pads and a helmet. :) The helmet does come in handy a lot of the time. :o

Advertisement