Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick question regarding motors

Options
  • 01-07-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm thinking of building my own AEG soon enough, and we all know the reputation the G&P M120 motor has but i was wondering are there any that are better in the same price range? I mainly use semi-auto so the motor would be geared towards that, I've seen the durable Guarders and the torque up ones, are they any good?

any advice appreciated lads thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

The great thing about the G&P M120 is that it is a high speed motor, with torque for a max of an M120 spring, which pretty much makes it perfect for Irish limits. It is very quick to reaching its top speed, though it is not the fastest motor on the market. Others, such as the Element Max Speed (I think it's called that; big super magnetic red motor) are faster, but have a huge spool time. Don't get me wrong, the G&P M120 is not without its pitfalls (i.e. soft pinion gear), but generally speaking it is the benchmark motor - it is to motors what the guarder clear is to hop up rubbers.

If you're after semi-auto, then a high torque motor will be the way forward. Quicker acceleration, so will reach its top speed faster, but its top speed will be slower than a high speed motor (which takes longer to reach its top speed, but is faster than a high torque). Semi auto solely relies on the acceleration of the motor, whereas high ROF set ups can afford a longer spool time for faster ROF.

The TM motors are mad money, but are absolutely cracking pieces. The EG30000 is the high cycle motor, IIRC, and is a stunning piece...but very expensive. Similarly the G&P M170/M180 are near €100 a piece.

I've read very good things about the SHS motors, though only had limited experience. I've a couple on order at the moment, so will reserve full judgement until greater personal experience :)

Big Dragon M120 motors were decent clones of the G&P M120, and an adequate substitute, and the guarder durables are a very nice motor, though a little slower on the uptake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Inari wrote: »
    The great thing about the G&P M120 is that it is a high speed motor, with torque for a max of an M120 spring, which pretty much makes it perfect for Irish limits. It is very quick to reaching its top speed, though it is not the fastest motor on the market. Others, such as the Element Max Speed (I think it's called that; big super magnetic red motor) are faster, but have a huge spool time. Don't get me wrong, the G&P M120 is not without its pitfalls (i.e. soft pinion gear), but generally speaking it is the benchmark motor - it is to motors what the guarder clear is to hop up rubbers.

If you're after semi-auto, then a high torque motor will be the way forward. Quicker acceleration, so will reach its top speed faster, but its top speed will be slower than a high speed motor (which takes longer to reach its top speed, but is faster than a high torque). Semi auto solely relies on the acceleration of the motor, whereas high ROF set ups can afford a longer spool time for faster ROF.

The TM motors are mad money, but are absolutely cracking pieces. The EG30000 is the high cycle motor, IIRC, and is a stunning piece...but very expensive. Similarly the G&P M170/M180 are near €100 a piece.

I've read very good things about the SHS motors, though only had limited experience. I've a couple on order at the moment, so will reserve full judgement until greater personal experience :)

Big Dragon M120 motors were decent clones of the G&P M120, and an adequate substitute, and the guarder durables are a very nice motor, though a little slower on the uptake.

thanks Kev :)
    so basically hi speed if you;re looking for faster RoF and use auto most time. and a hi torque will give you a faster trigger response and turn over for the next shot. do i understand that right?
    It'll be a while before I get that far, have certain things already but will definitely see what the SHS motors are like when they land.
    cheers mate

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭mafo

For weak spring (m85-90) and low rate of fire (up to 15 rps), any motor is good enough.

mafo wrote: »
    For weak spring (m85-90) and low rate of fire (up to 15 rps), any motor is good enough.

I would use a spare one i have here but if I'm going to be building an M4 i may as well push the extra bit and get a decent motor too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭SOCOM

I have an X-high tech custom high torque motor. I got from ebairsoft for €19 with free shipping. Its a little monster with neo D magnets. Trigger response is great in semi and fullauto is damn fast on a 9.6. Hooked it to a 11.1 lipo for the craic. Runs coola little noisy but for €19 they are well worth a punt

• Advertisement

SOCOM wrote: »
    I have an X-high tech custom high torque motor. I got from ebairsoft for €19 with free shipping. Its a little monster with neo D magnets. Trigger response is great in semi and fullauto is damn fast on a 9.6. Hooked it to a 11.1 lipo for the craic. Runs coola little noisy but for €19 they are well worth a punt

seen that, that the one hooked up to the ultimate GB now yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭SOCOM

T4RGET wrote: »
    seen that, that the one hooked up to the ultimate GB now yeah?

Yup thats the one!

SOCOM wrote: »
    Yup thats the one!

hmm nice one, I'm ordering of Ehobby but may see if i can find a similar one for the price you've mentioned, putting the ultimate gearbox into this new M4 too :)

Advertisement